Main Menu

New to the car resto world. Going to be starting '70 cuda aar

Started by garrettlmiller, May 11, 2020, 11:07:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

garrettlmiller

Hey everyone,

I have to apologize in advance.  I'm not a huge forum guy and have never been one but I'm definitely in over my head and no better time to learn than now! 

My dad drove a 1970 Cuda aar in high school and its been in our garage awaiting some TLC since I was a kid.  The irony is he's a car mechanic so this task would be a lot easier for him but he just didn't feel like working on cars in his free time or with his money.  Now that I'm older, and with the car currently sitting in MY garage, I thought I'd undertake the task since I have some spare time to get this thing (running to start) and hopefully restore it to its original glory eventually as finances permit.

So I just wanted to say hi here first and eventually get a restoration post going.  I'm from Seattle, WA.  36 years old fisherman that hasn't done much more than an oil change. That said, I hope that I can find some friends to help encourage and not discourage this project.  I come with 100 percent humility and respect for the craft.  Any help or direction about where to go and how to start would be greatly appreciated.  I will also be catching up on forum posts and whatever the internet has to offer. 

So here's a picture and I'll post what I've gathered from the fender tag. Interior is all intact with a single rip in the dash and both seats. Fairly straight body besides dings and a terrible paint job and has been covered, garaged, but with quite a bit of rust on her under the hood and under the car as one would expect from a 50 year old car. 

Nice to meet ya'll!  :thankyou:

edit: forget the infos in case anyone curious

Price Class:   Special   S
Body Type:   2 door hardtop   23
Engine:   340ci V8 six-pak HP (LA motor)   J
Year:   1970   0
Assembly Plant:   Hamtramck, MI   B
26-radiator diamater width
EN1-end of fender tag code line 1 build
N85-tac-rally dash
N94-fiberglass hood 
R11-am radio
V6H-stripe 
Y05-build to specs us car
G36-OS Dual Racing Mirrors
J45-hood pins 
J82-rear spoiler 
M21-drip row moldings 
M88-deck molding 
N44-side exit exhaust
EK2-vitamin C orange 
A53-trans am package 
A62-rally dash
B51-power brakes 
C16-Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55-Bucket Seats
EK2-Vitamin C Orange
H6X9- Trim Grade High; Front Seat Vinyl Buckets; Interior Black
000-upper door frame color (doesn't have any full door panels)
413- schedule production date
M04295-order number
E55-engine 340 6 pack 
D32-auto 
BS23-plymouth cuda 2 door hardtop

cudamadd

A very good place to learn every thing you need to know .  :australia:

cudamadd

And a very big welcome to the forum ,there are many different ways and levels of restorations .I always put it down to money and time plenty of good people here with so much knowledge. :australia:

nsmall

Dakota

Welcome to the site from Buffalo, NY.  It's great that you have the opportunity to bring your dad's car back to life.  You'll find whatever help you need here.   

Brads70

Rich G.

That's one hell of a car to have for your first restoration. Take lots of pictures before you take anything apart and don't throw anything out! Good luck!

anlauto

Welcome to the best E-Body website in the world  :welcome:

Great car you have to start with.

In my opinion, 1st thing to do is decide what you want your end goal to be and set your sights on that. Don't deviate from that goal and waste money and time on things that are not in that goal.

Whether your end goal is an OE restoration or some level of Resto-mod....don't be in a hurry to get it on the road so much that you waste money on items that are not in your end goal. For example: If it needs tires so you can drive it....don't waste money on cheap tires, get the correct tires that you want on your end goal, even if it means you have to save more...

Full proper restorations, whether you do it yourself or have a shop help you.....THEY ARE EXPENSIVE  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama  :twothumbsup:
I have always thought a AAR would lo great in silver , it is a long process to completely restore a car & never cheap !
If you decide to strip the car completely for paint bag & tag Everything & take far too many pictures so you know where everything goes !You can start restoring all of the individual components while the body is being done .

cuda hunter

sweet car! 
too many pictures is an understatement. Take waaaay too many pictures.  Literally bag and tag every single nut and bolt.
And take some more pictures. Crucial when putting things back together in years to come.

Your dad had great taste.  Did he purchase this new?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

Welcome; Great car to start. It will take quite a bit of time. One method that may work for you is to not simply take the whole car apart at once, You can take an assembly off and restore it, then put it aside. By them time you have the car all apart, most of it will be restored and you will be anxious to keep going to the finish. A good first project may be the dash assembly for example, then the seats, then the steering column etc.
A lot of people totally pull a car apart, look at the huge daunting mess and then let it sit for 25 years before selling it.
As the guys said, take tons of photos and do not throw anything away, bag and tag everything.
Sheldon

JS29

oldmoparbuff

Great car.
Welcome to the forum.
There is a wealth of knowledge here, that is not available anywhere else.

headejm

:welcome: from Central Illinois! I just finished a total restoration and it took about three years and a lot of money. Start with a plan, take your time, and enjoy the process. It can be very rewarding. You have a great car to restore and very valuable.  :cheers: