Main Menu

Newish from Puerto Rico

Started by 06Daytona, April 26, 2018, 08:02:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

06Daytona

It's been a while since I've been on this or any Mopar site but I found a message from Chryco so I thought it was time I signed up here.
I've been doing a bunch of work around the house and a few odd jobs so I haven't had much time to do any work on any cars. We made it through Maria well enough, it took a couple of weeks to get water and 63 days to get electricity but we were pretty well prepared. I killed the turbo on the truck moving trees, branches and roofs so I was stuck at home for a few weeks until I could get online and order a replacement. We're up to 12 rescue dogs, 8 cats and 3 turtles but no more cars.

superdave

:welcome: From Kansas (don't get too many hurricanes here, if you don't count those really small ones :lookatthat:). Bless you, you all have been through the wringer!! Any Mopars down there?

Cuda Cody

Welcome @06Daytona   :welcome:  Thanks for joining us and nice job on the rescues!   :veryexcited:

06Daytona

There are quite a few mopars down here. Puerto Ricans really seem to like Dusters and Darts and 72+ e bodies. I only know of a few 70-71 Challengers, 1 70 AAR and 2 71 Cudas. My Cuda is still just sheet metal in primer and my Challenger needs some TLC to get back on the road. Unfortunately I'm having some back problems right now so the cars are lower on the list of things to do than I'd like

dodgemania

Chryco Psycho

I have been thinking about you a lot , I am glad to hear you are doing well even with the tough ride after maria .
Glad you joined up , Neil

Jay Bee

:wave: Welcome aboard from Ontario  :canada: Sorry to hear of all those hardships though.

bluespruce

71-440

Joe

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Welcome 06Daytona; I spent Maria over in AGUADA and I will tell you that was scary. The base over in Aguadilla got trashed and I had one heck of a time getting a flight back on a Coast Guard  C-130 back. Can we say AWOL!!! :unbelievable:

06Daytona

We were really lucky in our neighborhood. No loss of life, no missing pets, no property damage beyond missing trees and the rear window louver from my 91 Rustang. One of the neighbors is a heavy equipment operator so once he could get his machine home the clean up went pretty quick. We had a month worth of food, water, pet food, propane and diesel. We have a solar setup now so we won't be without power next time.
The weirdest thing for me after Maria was all the naked trees. I saw houses that I didn't know were there.
The company I got my new turbo from sent a letter with the turbo saying they weren't going to charge me for it and to use the money to buy food and water but asked me not to publicly name them. I also have a few boxes of MREs for this hurricane season along with 100 gallons of diesel and a battery powered pump to fill the truck.
I'll have to get some pics of the Cuda and Challenger posted but neither one is as pretty as they used to be.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 06Daytona on April 26, 2018, 09:57:27 AM
We were really lucky in our neighborhood. No loss of life, no missing pets, no property damage beyond missing trees and the rear window louver from my 91 Rustang. One of the neighbors is a heavy equipment operator so once he could get his machine home the clean up went pretty quick. We had a month worth of food, water, pet food, propane and diesel. We have a solar setup now so we won't be without power next time.
The weirdest thing for me after Maria was all the naked trees. I saw houses that I didn't know were there.
The company I got my new turbo from sent a letter with the turbo saying they weren't going to charge me for it and to use the money to buy food and water but asked me not to publicly name them. I also have a few boxes of MREs for this hurricane season along with 100 gallons of diesel and a battery powered pump to fill the truck.
I'll have to get some pics of the Cuda and Challenger posted but neither one is as pretty as they used to be.
Welcome, I cannot imagine what you have been through, and for a company to send you a turbo at no charge, Thats mighty nice of them.
Get in, I'll drive

JS29

1Burgfish

:wrenching: 06Daytona what color is the AAR? I remember seeing a crashed and stripped black AAR in Fajardo when I was younger; it was at a mechanics backyard shop sitting in tall grass. It caught my eye because of the AAR badging on the quarters. I bought my 71 in Carolina it belonged to a PVC warehouse owner. He was 90% done with his 71 Demon race car and needed the funds to complete the Demon so he let go of the 71 Cuda. Aguada got hammered wooden homes were flattened and two police officers coming off duty got washed away crossing a bridge that water flowed over.

06Daytona

The AAR is plum crazy. I'm not sure if it's real or not. I think I know the guy who ended up with the Demon. He built my 440 and I bought a 340 off him as well. Most of the wood homes in my area got flattened as well and the ones that only had wood and tin roofs lost those. Our neighborhood is a concrete only area but the neighbors brand new wooden gazebo shifted about two inches even though it was tied down with cables. There's one house that I drive by regularly that used to be about 30x30 feet, now the owner is living in a little 10 by 10 shack that he built out of the scrap that he could find. The center of the eye of Maria apparently passed about two miles east of us and it sounded like we were standing right beside a jet engine. My wife used to think I was nuts because I was always doing things to prepare for something like Maria but she's behind everything I do now.