Main Menu

So this is where everyone from C-C went

Started by Duodec, July 15, 2022, 08:57:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

I had been a member on C-C for years, but for the last 10 plus had zero time to work on the Challenger and was mostly inactive.  A few months ago I found a machine shop I could work with and started asking questions at C-C, and then found many of the folks who used to be there were now here.

We're a year or three from retirement and starting to purge in prep for moving to a less awful state, which is making room in the garage.  Suddenly I can see the Challenger peaking out from under its cover and the overtopping piles of boxes.

1971 Challenger, built April 14th (a Wednesday, and Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World" was the number 1 song).
318-2v
904 transmission
741 8-3/4" axle
Originally GF3 green with H6XW black and white deluxe interior, was painted white when I bought it in 1980
AM only
Light package
A/C
N95 (Kalifornia emissions)

Short term plans: get the 318 rebuilt and the vehicle rolling in prep for the move.
Long term plans: restification, beefed small block, PROBABLY 6-pack carbs (I have all the parts except a few linkage pieces and air cleaner, including new in box carbs and intake), A518 trans, suspension set up for handling but not too harsh, 16" max wheel size so no rubber band tires, large pinion pig.

Back on the hunt for a 42RH or 46RH rebuildable transmission (all I can find around here are 42RE/46RE).   I picked up a set of 302 heads and they're getting cleaned up and prepped for use on the car's original 318 (unleaded capable heads without what were problematic valve seat replacements).  I still plan on  building a bigger small block but for now getting it running and moving with the 318-2V and 904 trans will have to do.  A few more weeks of cleanup and I'll be able to maneuver the cherry picker in to pull the short block out so it can go to the machine shop too (it was tired).

I have a lot of parts I've purchased through the years that I'm rediscovering as we go through the garage and storage.  Although I can't start the real work until after we retire and move, I'm really looking forward to getting greasy again on the 318 and prep stuff.

PS BF Goodrich Belted T/A tires purchased in the '80s and not rolled since 1995 don't hold air so good...

Brads70

7E-Bodies

I'm just south of you in rural Peoria. We plan to escape this hole of a state as well, but have to wait 3 more years. With a 40 x 60 shop, plus the house, we have some serious planning to do. Plus there's having to find some acreage in an acceptable state, which is currently a challenge.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

Welcome from another inmate of the Chicago NW burbs.  :wave:

Dakota

dodj

Welcome back to the group!
:drinkingbud:

PS..didn't know Illinois was such a bad place...most people here complain about California...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

:welcome: From the peoples republic of New York!  :handshake:

Duodec

Thanks all.  Looking forward to posting posers and difficult questions, as before.

Like finding someone who makes a truly accurate reproduction fuel tank with inner expansion tank for my Challenger (Got the current recommended one, no internal tank)

Or finding out if the stainless fuel tanks now available through Rock Auto and others is worth considering.

Or finding the decently working magic kit that lets you use a 46RE transmission instead of a 46RH as a retrofit.

Or finding needed engine and brake parts still made in (at least) North America, if not the US proper.

Maybe finding out if anyone has done really smooth LED retrofits in the taillights (so you can't see the separate emitters; just solid smooth red light).

Fun times if work doesn't blow up like it has almost every other time I started working on the car again.  Retirement will put paid to that but not for a little while longer...

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada: and good to hear you're unearthing the old gal. Good luck with the restoration, too.  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Spikedog08

Yep here we are!  Glad you found us!  Most of the same members are here from the old site!  :yes:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

headejm

:welcome: from Central Illinois! Keep us all posted on your progress. Lots of good knowledge on this site.  :cheers:

CudaMoparRay

Duodec

Thanks all.  After so many years of no time and more recently driving a Ford Flex as my daily driver (its what I could get when the Jeep died, and admittedly it is handy for hauling parts around in the back) its great to be jumping back into Ma Mopar's place again.  Been reviewing the boards here and trying not to necropost when I see something I could answer.

Work is still going to prevent going full bore at this but I'm not going to let it completely monopolize my time any longer.

I stopped at the machine shop Saturday, still waiting on the quote for work on the heads.  I know the work itself will take a while due to backlog but I was hoping a quote wouldn't take more than a month; turns out their machinist has been out with wuflu since mid June and was hospitalized. Hopefully due back next week so hopefully I'll have a quote by early August at the latest.  Hopefully be ready to yank the short block out of the car (since I already removed the factory top end) this fall once the garage is cleaned up and the car uncovered from its storage-shelf condition.

Some parts ordered from Hughes Engines early this year finally showed up this week. 

Still have to go through all the parts in the garage and storage too; I'm keeping everything related to the engine and making the car run and roll on the shelves here but packing up interior/trim/etc to make room to work.  Its going to outside storage for now along with those boxes and cans piled on and in the car right now. 

Joef89