Main Menu

New member from Olympia, Washington

Started by Skunkworks Challenger, August 07, 2017, 09:38:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skunkworks Challenger

I don't really feel like a new member since I know so many of you from CC.Com where I'm known as "Skunkworks Challenger ".  I ran across this website while anticipating the Ben Snobar auction.  I already was quite aware of Cody and when I saw he had originated this site I jumped on board.  I had the pleasure of meeting Cody in person during the auction and was pleased to see he found some treasures--maybe not bargains however because prices were definitely on the high side.
So happens Ben was my next door neighbor and I have known him since he was a championship heavy weight wrestler at Olympia High.  My 70 Challenger RT contains many parts from Ben, most being purchased during the 90's soon after I purchased the car.  Later, during restoration I bought parts and received great advice from Rocket Restorations and formed a friendship with Tom Hergert. I'm looking forward to meeting many of you and exchanging information.  Paul Knight

Cuda Cody

Hello Paul.   :wave:   It was great seeing you at the auction.  For the rest of my life I will remember Ben with a great appreciate for his passion and his love of collecting.  Seeing his place and all his parts in person was a real treat.  You were super lucky to have Ben as a neighbor.  Thanks for joining us here and I look forward to seeing you around.

CudaMoparRay

TobiasM

Paul,

:welcome: aboard from an overseas owner of another 70 Challenger. I am still surprised to see so many members being from WA...seems to be the capital-state for e-bodies.

And good to see we have another fellow with us who is long-time-experienced in e-bodies!  :twothumbsup:

Jay Bee

:wave:  Welcome to the site from St. Catharines, ON  :canada:

Rev-It-Up

Welcome to the forum Skunkworks! Would love to see some pics of your 70 RT when you get a chance.    :welcome:
Rev-It-Up

JS29

:welcome: :wave: My 70 gran coupe came from Washington, Spokane area. :bigthumb:

Spikedog08

Welcome aboard!  Glad to see you joined up!   :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Welcome from Panama Paul
Cool to have Ben as your neighbor !
Glad you joined us here

J-Code Jeni

:welcome: from SW Washington! Fun to have another PNW Mopar enthusiast here!

I bet you have some stories, living next to Ben!

Skunkworks Challenger

Thanks for the welcome Chryco. I'm still appreciative for the advice from you while building my car.  The cam advice was right on and I love the way the 440 performs. Nice to hear from you.  PK

Skunkworks Challenger

Hi Rev ,thanks for the welcome and suggestion of pictures.  I will do so soon and add some information about my car.   First I have to get my 54 New Yorker ready for the Chrysler WPC club national meet in Tacoma, WA. next week.

Skunkworks Challenger

I ran across this little piece I wrote soon after finishing the restoration of my 70 Challenger RT and hope you find it interesting .

1970 Dodge Challenger—A car for all ages!
Who says you have to be young to have a car like a 70 Dodge Challenger.  We were young once—like "once upon a time"!  So, if the car is a subtle color, with a small engine and quiet exhaust does that make it OK? Well then, how about Sublime Lime, built 440 and loud exhaust?  I won't ask.
So happens we didn't go looking for the car---it sort of found us.  In 1987 our then young son bought the car from an ad in the Seattle PI.  He drove it for three years while serving as a U.S. Army Ranger.  After a few self inflicted mishaps and some advice from Mom and Dad he sold it to Dad in 1990 and bought a very slow and stout Toyota Land Cruiser.  Not surprisingly things got better for our young son.  Dad parked the car in his shop where it took up space and collected dust until January 2007.
In January 2007, after completing work on our 1954 Chrysler New Yorker I started work on the Challenger.  One cold wintery day I started it up, drove it around the shop a few times, drove back into the shop and proceeded to dismantle it.  It was on a rotisserie for two years while doing the body work.  Not surprisingly the "easy restoration" turned into something much more involved.  The factory had used copious quantities of seam sealer.  It appeared that the seam sealer had a great affinity for moisture because there was rust under all of it. There was also rust in the usual places like in front of and behind each rear wheel and around the front and back windshields.  Fortunately the floor pans and trunk pan were easily repaired by spot welding.  All the other rust was cut out and new panels welded in place. 
The body work was especially difficult because there were four coats of paint covering lots of bondo which was covering lots of dents.  It appeared that the car was used as a mobile bleacher at sports events or car races, or drive-in or whatever.  There was not a straight panel on it, not the hood, top, trunk lid or tops of fenders.  All the old paint, inside, outside and under side was removed by grinding and sand blasting.  I ground off the flat surfaces but sand blasted the creases and sharp bends to avoid cutting through the metal.  The car now sports its fifth paint job.  It was originally sublime, then red, then white, then red again, and now sublime again.  I suspect each paint job was preceded by an incident of some sort.
The car is an original R/T car.  R/T signifies a certain level of performance and equipment well above base line cars.  From the factory it had a 335 horsepower 383 cubic inch engine, larger sway bar, torsion bars, rear springs and torque boxes.  The instrument panel consists of the Rallye instruments like tachometer, clock and 150 MPH speedometer.  The car was complete and everything worked but showed many years of use and abuse. The original 383 engine had been replaced by a 340 cubic inch engine.
I reassembled the car using many new and upgraded parts.  Nothing went back on without being new or re-conditioned.  Because the original 383 engine was long gone I up-graded to a 440 cubic inch with aluminum heads, high lift short duration cam, new 10.0-1 compression pistons, high capacity oil pump, windage tray, electronic ignition, 850 cfm Thermoquad carburetor and an X-pipe exhaust system.  The engine has stock high flow cast iron intake manifold and exhaust headers and at first glance looks completely stock.  Other than the engine the car was reassembled as close to factory appearance as possible including the color, the white stripe, the black interior and Rallye wheels.  The fender tag was my road map!
Some of the more interesting accessories are the rim-blow steering wheel, slap stick shifter, 6-way adjustable leather seats, and the extremely rare rear seat shoulder belts.  These belts are so rare I have not found anyone who has ever seen them before.  They are authenticated by the code C-14 on the fender tag.  It seems like a minor item but could possibly make the car one of a kind. 
I did all the body work, rebuilt the engine and transmission, and reconditioned all components. In May I took it to Jon Carson's Fenders and Fins for one of his famous paint jobs.  After the paint I spent seven weeks doing reassembly, glass and interior work.  My target was to make the Regional Meet in Victoria, B.C. and because of back ordered parts I made it by scant days.  It's nice to finally be done with the project and to enjoy driving it a bit.
The recent trip to the Vancouver Island Regional Meet in Victoria was its maiden voyage (yes I know what happened to the Titanic).   The car ran perfectly and made a good showing (no icebergs).  It drives very nice and is comfortable on the road.  After being accustomed to travel in the 54 New Yorker we have to learn to pack "lightly" because of space.  It almost makes us feel young!
Paul Knight

Mickm