Main Menu

Local Ontario Guys....1969 340 ? Anybody need one ?

Started by anlauto, August 15, 2017, 02:43:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I have a guy that wants to trade me a 1969 340 all original, never apart, original carb to pan, missing exhaust manifolds for labour on his Road Runner. Comes with correct A Body rad even and a set of original 14" rims off of a 69 Dart.

He thinks it's worth about $3500 CDN  :dunno:  I'm not so sure I want to make the trade unless I knew someone looking for a 340 to build. Anybody ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

If I had the time I would be happy to trade labor for a cool 340 engine.  Whenever I buy a block I try to figure out why it was taken out of the car.  There's a lot of unknowns with a block that has not been checked over, but finding them complete is getting really hard to do.  I think the price is fair, but might be a little on the high side.  How much work are you thinking of doing for it?

RUNCHARGER

Never apart? On the one hand it would be nice to get it all complete however it would be safe to say everything will need refreshing and maybe the block and heads may not even be rebuildable. Tough call.
Sheldon

anlauto

I was thinking of doing maybe 50 hours labour...he's thinking 100 hours :haha:

Sheldon's right, who knows what you're getting.....I suggested KiJiJi, but he's not much into computers....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

1 week of labor would be all I would be willing to do for trade if I really wanted the block.  That's a lot of time to donate for a used engine.  And even at 40 hours a week I would have to think really hard before I did it. 

anlauto

RUNCHARGER

Not really something you need. I really don't see any upside for you Alan, even at 50 hours. Also, and I say this with all due respect; A-body cars are worth less than E-bodies so getting a good price out of a 69 340 will be harder than a 70-71 340.
Sheldon

jimynick

Alan, all you're getting is basically cores. As mentioned, who the hell knows what the innards are like? It could be cracked or merely had the balls run off it and it's not like it's ready to run and fresh. By the time you machined it and bought pistons/rings,bearings/cam and kit/ignition etc.etc. you'd be cheaper to buy a crate engine from a reputable builder. If the blocks good and standard bore I figure it's worth about $4-500, the heads about $2-300 and a crank about $1-200 at the outside. You already know this; as your pals over in Toney Creek have opened your eyes years ago, right?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"