Main Menu

Repair Mistakes & Blunders!

Started by RockAuto, March 29, 2017, 12:43:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RockAuto

We are looking for some good "Repair Mistake & Blunder" true stories to feature in the RockAuto newsletter (we know you have some)! Tell us about your most infamous auto repair blunder or unconventional fix. Use your woe to help others avoid similar mistakes or share off-the-wall solutions that worked ... at least for a while!

Please e-mail your story to Flamur@RockAuto.com. Include your mailing address and let us know if you would like a RockAuto T-shirt (please let us know your shirt size) or Hat if we publish your story. See the T-shirts and Hats by looking under the "Tools & Universal Parts" tab in the RockAuto.com online catalog.

The story will be credited using only your first name and your vague geographic location (state, province, country, continent, etc.) so you can remain semi-anonymous!

Read the latest "Repair Mistake & Blunder" story in our current newsletter : http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/?a=2017forum#blunder

Enjoy (and learn how to avoid) even more "Repair Mistakes & Blunders" in the newsletter archives: http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/Archive.html?a=2017forum

Cuda Cody

Who had that photo of the bodywork that was done with the paint can?   :thinking:  That would make a great story!  :bigthumb:

Tunis

That was in my resto thread :) Just to be clear, I wasn't the guy behind the masterpiece.. I think I have more pictures of it on my computer.

Cuda Cody

You should submit those photos.  That had to be one of the craziest things I've even seen.  Talk about maximizing ever penny.  The thought has never occurred to me to use a paint can as structural metal.   :haha: 

RUNCHARGER

I think that "restorer" may have sniffed the contents of the can before making that terrific decision.
Sheldon

Rev-It-Up

I also would have to vote for the paint can body filler. I don't think I will ever forget that blunder!  :rubeyes:
Rev-It-Up

Cuda Cody

This photo is awesome for all the wrong reasons, but I love it.  :crazytalk:

Tunis

I have now submitted the photos and 'a' story to RockAuto.  :D I hope they were able to receive the e-mail, the attached photos were 19MB.

JS29

Did anyone notice the (patches)  :barf: said ditzler on the can's.  witch is PPG now. that tells me that was done meany moon ago. But I have seen newspaper and cardboard used to hold the filler in place. 

RUNCHARGER

My 71 Challenger R/T had window screen in the front fenders. I guess it was to back up the bondo used for rust repair. I really wanted to restore that car but I knew better.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

This is a real 69 Hemi GTX, 1 of 99 automatics. Buddy decided to widen the quarters as I suppose B-bodies don't hold enough tire? I was torching the bondo out but finally just hit it with the grinder. What a mess to clean up. He had brazed a bit of metal in there but basically the bondo was more than an inch thick.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

My '71 Challenger had roofing flashing material for a trunk floor.  Nothing a plasma cutter couldn't handle.   :wrenching:

HP_Cuda

Now that's inventive. Roof flashing on the truck pan.

Who woulda thought.  :thinking:

:haha:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

HP_Cuda

How about a front frame rail repair which should have not been repaired and bondo-ed over.

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

What, bondo it not structural strength?   :bricks:    :haha:   

Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 01, 2017, 11:15:52 AM
How about a front frame rail repair which should have not been repaired and bondo-ed over.