Main Menu

????? spare tire fore sell???? Is this 100% correct

Started by pink aar, February 09, 2019, 02:11:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

cudaize

If you're interested in this one I would ask the seller to see the date code on the tire.  All original 70 or 71 tires I've seen had the proprietary Goodrich dating, not the standardized DOT labeling that became law to use for all tires manufactured somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 or 71. I even have a space saver from a 72  Mach I that has the pre-DOT dating.  Because I've never found anyone who knows how to red the date code on these tires I suspect one of two things happened.  Either the plan was to sell more in the first year than actually happened or the plant did not change the date code style when they were supposed to.

The 3 plies rayon I believe is only on extremely early tires.  Most original tires that I have seen on wheels for the 71 model year at least were 2+1.

One thing I see that leads me to believe that this tire is a later one would be the 4 in the 14 lined up with - in 7.75.  Most times when you see this it is DOT dated about 74-76.

There's a lot of paint on the wheel in the ebay auction so I can't tell if that is correctly dated on not.  The wheels are somewhat easier to find than the tires as there were other applications they were used in as well.

Mike Afflerbach

mccannix

Not 100% correct for our Mopars unless has the V-1 on tire.
All true Mopar space saver B.F.Goodrich tires, be it the very early 7:75-14 only, or F:78-14 replaces 7:75-14 all have V-1 on the tire.
I see no pictures showing that, which I would always show to prove proof.
If not , it could have been the same sized GM tire switched on to the rim as I have never seen GM
space saver tire with a V-1...but have not seen them all.
Some... but not ...all similar sized Ford space saver tires have the V-1