Main Menu

1970 340 T/A Motor

Started by chevfrank, November 28, 2020, 04:32:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chevfrank

1970 340 T/A six pack motor. Complete from air cleaner to oil pan. Rebuilt  (just finished), carbs, heads, .30 over block.
VIN number: JH23JOB281111
Block number: 357713D.T.A.340.8
Carb numbers are: LIST-4790, 4792, and 4789
Intake number: 3418681
Heads:3418915B
Contacted Barry Washington to verify the VIN being from a Challenger T/A last known in California in 1984. The motor was noted in case the car surfaced.
The engine was found in a 1973 Challenger 340 4-speed that was sitting in a California garage since the mid-1980s.
I have more pictures upon request.
Asking $19,000.*** (OR BEST OFFER) ***
If interested please call Nick at 415-850-7147
Phone calls only, thanks

challengermaniac

Hi Nick. 

Please be sure to add a price for the T/A motor as required for listing items here.

Thanks and best of success with the sale.
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

chevfrank

anlauto

......and welcome to the best E Body website in the WORLD :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Welcome  :wave:
The VIN for the engineis 1 number short BTW

chevfrank

anlauto

What air cleaner is that ?  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

chevfrank

I was told last night that the base is off of an A12 Roadrunner/Super Bee 440.

anlauto

Quote from: chevfrank on November 29, 2020, 08:12:07 AM
I was told last night that the base is off of an A12 Roadrunner/Super Bee 440.

Ahhhh...that makes more sense...I knew it wasn't AAR/TA .
That's a pricey little piece right there if it's an original one  :alan2cents:

Good luck with your sale, maybe the original T/A owner will buy it :drinkingbud:

Purepony

I've had a mopar for a while and not to start an argument but  I'm just wondering is this what these are going for now ?

Good luck on the sale and really cool info to share with the buyer it would be interesting to see the car turn up

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Purepony on November 29, 2020, 09:21:23 AM
I've had a mopar for a while and not to start an argument but  I'm just wondering is this what these are going for now ?

Good luck on the sale and really cool info to share with the buyer it would be interesting to see the car turn up

He's asking twice as much as the highest price I've ever seen one sell for.... But hey, it's a free market, he can ask whatever he likes... Doesn't mean anyone will actually pay that....

Bossgold

So I have offered my experience on several occasions on Forums and different sites. People always comment (good and Bad) about the price of a T/A 340 motor. First, if you just add up the prices individually if you  were going to buy each piece without Air Cleaner, Alternator, Starter, Power steering or exhaust manifolds your around( all correct both castings and date codes) $ 11K. A good .30 over block( not 35, 40) that is cleaned and tested alone should be in the $ 3K range and with a standard bore (I know where there is one right now) going higher.  A good set of heads and rockers ( not corroded, milled, or ported) are $ 2500k. Now add the crank, Pistons/ARP/rods, 294 oil pan, windage tray/pump, timing cover, water pump (rebuilt), 3418681  intake (not cracked/bad threads), correct valve covers, water neck/throttle brackets/hoses/fuel lines, balancer and pulleys/brackets.... it really starts to add up. Don't mention a valve job $ 450, and rocker arm restore (if needed $ 475) and other machining and assembly. Add in good restored carbs, air cleaner (original$ 1800), exhaust manifolds (originals $ 800) and don't forget the DR 1114429 Fast idle solenoid( $ 375 to $600)....and you can see the point.  Finally, throw in a Federal restored pump($300)/Cooler(Date coded ($ 350)/2891214 High pressure hose($ 400), 3438172 correct restored alternator ( $ 600) and a Correct Restored Starter (2875553/2875560 and Date coded)($ 375) and that just added another $ 1650 to the price. Now include shipping ($200). I have done this to Two T/A motors and first, to find all the parts, second shipping and restoration, and third to throw in extras for the oils/goop/gaskets/bearings, premiums for right part, date codes, casting and it really starts to get expensive. So an engine, air cleaner to oil pan, exhaust manifolds to bell housing, restored/rebuilt is easily $ 14K to $ 18K. And hopefully the seller has paper work, pictures and receipts for a engine shop that has good ratings and reviews.

Bossgold

I forgot the Fan/Fan Clutch ($ 360) and the 2998974 Radiator ($350)....

Floyd

If that's an original A12 baseplate you'd probably do better selling it separately. They're worth a bunch and it would allow you to bring the price down a bit on the motor.

anlauto

Let's respect the fact that this is listed in the "for sale" section, and our new member friend has followed all the listing rules, so maybe we can keep the comments about his asking price to ourselves. :-X If he had posted in the "WIW" section, that would be a different story. :foul:

Like mentioned, a person is allowed to ask whatever they want for items. :alan2cents: