Main Menu

About the elusive 1970 Dodge Challenger SE/WSS rear finish panel

Started by 70/6chall, February 13, 2019, 11:18:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

I have seriously been thinking about selling my '70 Dodge Challenger SE rear finish panel. I have extensively Google researched these things and really haven't found very many of them. I found 3 NOS panels selling for $1,500. To $3,200. There is also a large well known Mopar parts distributor who has one for $545. OEM used condition unknown. The one I have is my extra one for my car, but have been hanging on to it for 20 years now. It is OEM used, but in very very nice condition (see pics). I will most likely entertain any decent offer. Shipping to the lower 48 only, I am in the SoCal area.
Thanks,   Al

blown motor

If you don't need the money I would keep it. If someone ever runs in the back of you you'll need it.  :alan2cents:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

js27

Quote from: blown motor on February 14, 2019, 12:14:41 AM
If you don't need the money I would keep it. If someone ever runs in the back of you you'll need it.  :alan2cents:

I have to agree. The only reason I am selling off my parts is because I either sold or selling off my cars. Any rare part that you can use in case of damage happening to your original is worth saving in my opinion.
JS27

70/6chall

I agree guys, not sure why I had this whim to sell,off something that I've had for a long time and hard to come by at this time in this condition, at least until they start reproducing them. No, money isn't the reason, just kept looking at it and saying "damn I should get rid of that thing". I know I'll never get out of it what I put into it. Maybe a weak moment. Appreciate you shaking me up and going "let's rethink this"  OK, then back to the dark recesses of my garage.   Thanks guys,   Al

JH27N0B

My Challenger convertible has that "SE" panel.  If I had a spare, I'd keep it stored in a padded container and not sell it for any price.  With my luck, it's only a matter of time before some texting uninsured illegal rear ends me, and it would probably end up a major project to locate a replacement panel to replace my wrecked one while repairing the damage!

CudaMoparRay

Al, no comment on whether to sell or not just that it looks like a real nice piece.  :twothumbsup:

JS29

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on February 14, 2019, 12:43:23 PM
Al, no comment on whether to sell or not just that it looks like a real nice piece.  :twothumbsup:
:iagree: I would love to have it for my R/T S-E project car, but no money in the budget right now.  :drooling:

tparker

This is one of a couple parts that are VERY difficult to find and which I need. I need one of these and door belt trim clips(or whatever they are called). Unfortunately I have to spend my money on getting the car running before I can buy one.

It's good for you supply is low, but bad for me. 

750-h2

70/6chall

Well, it seems to me that all concerned here that have answered my posting have voted I should hang on to the panel. Guess your right where would I find another one to replace the one I have on the car in case it should become damaged. Thanks guys again. It's a keeper. Here's another pic of interest, I have the original factory fasteners, to make the package complete.    Al

anlauto

I would sell it to someone who needs it to finish their project. Life is too short to be a hoarder  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: 750-h2 on February 14, 2019, 04:48:02 PM
I remember when Year One was selling those for $100.00.
Should have bought them all too , I recall when they were still available through mopar for under $100  :bricks:

ShakerBoy

Do you still have your spare SE Rear Finish panel? I'm in the market for one to put on an R/T SE I'm restoring.
My buddy bought an NOS one a few years ago for $600.
Thanks!

Fastmark

If you read the first post, these panels are not selling for what they sold for just a few short years ago. $600 would have been a great deal ( or steal) two years ago anyway, in my opinion. One thing about a strong economy is the price of cars and especially parts goes higher. Lots of people in your boat that just need that one hard to find part to finish off a good car. This is one of those parts that will probably never be reproduced. If it was, I bet it would not fit like an oem piece. Most reproduction parts never do. The only way you will find a cheap panel is to find someone that has their head in the sand and no clue of the value of parts. That's getting harder to find that guy. Even old guys like Al and I can search the internet! Lol! Howdy, from Texas again,Al. That being said, the oem tail panel I have is not as nice as Al's but it could be restored. I do have an NOS one. Like Al said, I've seen then them for $1800. up. I have not advertised mine because of the fear of damage in shipping. I'm hoping to sell it at a car show or something.

jamesroney

I sent a PM.

I have an NOS one of these direct from Mopar here in Fremont, 94536.

I'm only keeping it because of the holes that are in my taillight panel.  If someone needs it, for that kind of money, I can live without it.

Jamesroney@yahoo.com
BS23N0E