Main Menu

Kids & Cars

Started by RockAuto, April 20, 2020, 12:13:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RockAuto

Toilet paper may be in short supply, but there are now plenty of children wandering around aimlessly after their schools shut down and booted them out the door. Now is a great opportunity to get kids interested in cars. A little tinkering on cars can help teach them how to use their minds and hands to prevent and solve problems. Increased confidence and competence will make them better able to handle and enjoy life's challenges.

If they have replaced heater hoses on a car, then they probably will have the confidence to replace a leaky bathroom faucet in their own homes someday. Instead of feeling helpless and panicky when the toilet paper shelves are empty, they will stay calm, trusting in their ability to come up with their own solutions if necessary; rags, shop towels, thimbleberry leaves, dad's old hankies...

Car "tinkering" does not have to start big. A child's first car project could be as simple as learning how to properly wash a car. It is easy to forget that a younger child may not even yet know how to connect a garden hose to a spigot. He/she will beam with pride once he/she has that knowledge and sees how nice the family vehicle looks after the grime is washed away. The adults involved in all this mentoring will have memories of good times spent with the kids that drown out insignificant memories of empty toilet paper shelves.

Thank you,
RockAuto.com

usraptor

JS29

SgtSuperbird

Here's one of my daughters, at work, back in February. She works for a southern State's Fish and Wildlife division. They had overheating issues, so her and her female work partner, said, "we can figure this out." A little video tutorial and a service manual, and, well, you see the results. All four of my kids watched "dad" do things around the house, and it looks like it rubbed off. It goes back to my late dad making me watch him dismantle and repair things, which I look back and think that was the greatest gift he gave me.

soundcontrol

Just asked my teenage daughter if she wanted to sand down my Barracuda....
I just got a huge eyeroll!  :notsure:

This is 5 years ago, when my Challenger was in driving condition, and she was not a teenager.  ;)

70Barracuda

Heres my son installing Firmfeel.  Last week his Subaru made 507 wheel HP on E85,  425 pump
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

70Barracuda

He comes by it honest!
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

JS29

Plumcrazy72

My son was 3 when he decided to take his 12v Ram apart
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel