Main Menu

Ouch! 2229171 master cylinder listing on eBay $$$$$

Started by JH27N0B, June 16, 2019, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I remember 15, 16 years ago I'd find these in Bendix boxes regularly like this one on eBay with $59.99 buy it nows.  I'd later see a guy at a show with an AAR or T/A with a drum brake MC or some aftermarket boat anchor MC, and tell them I had a correct MC I'd sell them, and they'd roll their eyes and tell me to pound sand basically.  My how times have changed!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1970-Cuda-Challenger-Bendix-Power-Disc-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Mopar-2229171/303184959381?

anlauto

If it's been sitting for forty years it likely needs to be rebuilt  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Maybe, maybe not.  One of those $59.99 BIN '9171s in Bendix boxes I'd bought had a April 1970 date code on it, so I kept that one for my April SBD T/A restoration.  When it finally came time to install a few years ago, I carefully disassembled it and inspected the seals.  They seemed to be in good shape, flexible, not dried out or split or anything.  So I reassembled the MC, filled it with DOT 5, bled it, and the brakes work perfect, and no seepage out the booster end.
I rebuilt what I'm pretty sure is the original MC from my convertible with NOS Bendix seals some time back, and I'm optimistic if I do put it back on the car, it will be fine too.
But I certainly wouldn't recommend installing a 50 year old NOS MC on a car without giving the bore and seals a careful inspection first.

Brads70

6Pack70

All that money, and it will still need Resto Rick to stamp the lid or find a correct one with the J-1703 stamp on it.  Wow.

jimynick

I believe the old saying goes..."a fool and his money, are soon parted" Thievery is the word that comes to mind here.  :thinking:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda_mark

Well...it does come with the original installation instructions. Maybe that's why the price is so high!   :ohyeah: :banana: :ohyeah: