Main Menu

SOLD 1970 Power Disc Brake Booster and 9171 Master Cylinder Core

Started by mtull, July 07, 2024, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

SOLD 1970 Power Brake Booster, 2229171 Master Cylinder and brake proportioning valve cores, $1200.  I can bring to Carlisle Friday July 12th with prepayment.

Power Brake Booster Core
- Numbers on top of booster appear to be: 2944298E9 318B8513
- Numbers on face: PAT NOS 3106873 3110031 3083698 18268
- Black paint specs are what's left of the original paint
- Orange paint specs are what's left of the original inspection mark
- Stamped numbers are faint
- Surface has pitting

2229171 Master Cylinder Core
- plane cover
- casting date:  Hard to read, possibly the ?96th day of the year?
- assembly date: 172nd day of 1973

Kelsey Hayes brake proportioning valves
- dated: 310th day of 1969 and 315th day of 1969.

7E-Bodies

Whooda thunk the 2229171 would be like a brick of .999 gold these days. I have one as well, fully reconditioned for my restoration by Brake Warehouse. I remember the days these were south of $50. Wish I'd bought a truck full.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

I used to find NOS ones in aftermarket parts boxes not very well described on eBay 20 years ago for around $50 buy it now from people selling obsolete parts.
I'd see guys at shows with incorrect MCs on their E bodies and offer to sell them a correct one, they'd roll their eyes and tell me to scram.
I was communicating with Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action about something and I mentioned just about every restored Mopar I see has the wrong MC on it. And I asked why they never published an article about correct master cylinders.  He said if you know so much about it, why don't you write an article?  If it's any good, we'll publish it and even pay you.
So I did, and suddenly the prices of correct Mopar master cylinders skyrocketed and finding bargains on eBay dried up. People came out of the woodwork to buy or trade for my little stash of masters no one wanted before.
So blame me!  :crazytalk:

Mr Cuda

Ok, I blame you!
 I have been saved from having to have date code, part number correct EXPENSIVE master cylinders and boosters, because I have Cudas.
 I think over 80% had 4 wheel drum brakes, as plymouth were low option compared to dodge.
I have had 14 cudas, and not one was factory disc brake.
 They are all manual disc now with the 73-4 type master.

7E-Bodies

@JH27N0B Thank you  :vipermanhiding:

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

Since the article came out, the % of restored E bodies sporting correct OEM master cylinders has increased immensely.  I like to think that means I did something to make the world better. The Mopar world at least.

Mr Cuda

@JH27N0B  I'd be curious on your take as to the most correct master to use on a 70/71 with manual disc brakes.
Obviously a 9171 was power only. I don't know if it even has the provision to hold a pushrod as power masters often don't.

JH27N0B

Manual disc wasn't an option on E bodies in 70/71 but there was a manual disc option on later E bodies.  Its casting number was 2229271. There was an aftermarket version available but it's been discontinued at least 20 years.

mtull

I'm not one who gets any enjoyment out of 'sticking it' to others.  The ever ascending prices for parts and cars has taken a lot of fun out of he hobby at least for me.   I first offered to sell the items to one of our respected and well liked forum members last year for much less but unfortunately logistics prevented the sale.

I'm aware of four sales of 9171's (no other parts included) in the last two years, each sold for between $1050 ~ $1200. I sincerely hope the folks that closely watch the prices on these parts feel it was a decent deal for buyer and seller.  The buyer seems like a great person and another forum member who knows the buyer asserted the same.   

I count myself very fortunate to have built online friendships with some of our active forum members and hope the sale price of these parts doesn't distract from that.

JH27N0B

I'm certainly not criticizing you for selling something at market price or of being greedy. Your items sold quick which suggests fair pricing.
If you sell something cheap, most times the buyer turns out to be a flipper who turns around and lists it at or above market. Then you feel like a sucker!
I started buying parts for my T/A restoration in the 90s into the early 2000s, and looking back the prices I paid then seem bargains.  I am in a much better place financially now then was back then, but still don't think I could afford to fund an OEM restoration today.  It's sad original parts and restoration costs have gotten so high, it certainly has priced a lot of people out of the market.

mtull

Quote from: JH27N0B on July 13, 2024, 09:08:45 AMIf you sell something cheap, most times the buyer turns out to be a flipper who turns around and lists it at or above market. Then you feel like a sucker!

No offense taken at all by anyone and I do really appreciate the affirmation.  Regarding price, I think you stated my concerns (and I'm sure others) perfectly.