Main Menu

1970-1971 Barracuda left and right disc brake Kunckle

Started by cudabud, June 11, 2021, 07:31:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabud

I bought a brake conversion kit from DrDiff as I thought the factor disc brake was original but to find out it has the bigger spindle for the 73 version model. I am needing to locate a 1970-1971 spindle for both sides to make the kit work any help would be appreciated. My car is a 1971 Barracuda.

1 Wild R/T

Have you checked with Cass? Might be easier to just swap hubs/rotors... The bigger bearings are definitely an upgrade..

cudabud

Yes, I checked with Cass and he told me he doesn't and no one makes reproductions for the 70-71.

cudabud

I might have to go that way with using the bigger spindle.The new hub for the big bearing is $290 and just trying to watch the $

JS29

@cudabud       Do you need the spindle's from a drum or disk brake car? I just removed the spindle's from my 1970 drum brake barracuda, You can have them if that is what you need.

anlauto

Quote from: cudabud on June 11, 2021, 07:31:35 PM
I bought a brake conversion kit from DrDiff as I thought the factor disc brake was original but to find out it has the bigger spindle for the 73 version model. I am needing to locate a 1970-1971 spindle for both sides to make the kit work any help would be appreciated. My car is a 1971 Barracuda.

forgive my ignorance, but I'm a little confused...

You bought a disc brake kit that requires 70-71 spindles (small bearing), but the disc brakes you had on the car were 73-74 spindles (large bearing)?

QuoteYes, I checked with Cass and he told me he doesn't and no one makes reproductions for the 70-71.

So then you mention Cass says, no one makes reproduction 70-71 (small bearing) ...reproduction what ? spindles ? hubs ? rotors ?  I thought that was in the kit you bought ?

Are you saying Cass's kit is for the larger 73-74 bearing ? or it's for the 70-71 and your car is a 71 but has the wrong 73-74  spindles ?

Then as JS mentioned, are you converting using drum brake spindles or original disc brake spindles...

Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused as heck  :looney: :looney: :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cudabud

About three years back I purchased the  2003 13" Viper conversion kit from Cass / DrDiff and he will ask you if you have the 70- 71 disc brake setup on your car or the 73 and at the time I was working on the body work , so I took it for granted the car had the 71 Disc brake system as it seemed original. This is the kit I ordered from Cass and the other day when I tried to slide the inner bearing over the spindle is when I found my mistake (Cass confirmed) the spindle was that of a 1973 big bearing. The inner bearing was 1.3" I.D (small bearing) and where the bearing locates on the spindle is 1.380" so this was my mistake by not measuring the O.D. Of the spindle first.  I did ask Cass if he offers the small disc brake knuckle/ spindle and he stated No nobody is remanufacturing the 70-71 knuckle/ Spindle , So my alternative is to find a 70-71 Disc brake Spindle/ Knuckle and everything will work with the kit I have or buy another hub for the big bearing at $290. I am not sure, but I do not believe the drum brake spindle is the same as the disc brake spindles. Thank you for the help and guidance . We all hopefully learn from our mistakes, just sometimes it hurts the wallet.

anlauto

Okay, so that makes more sense, thank you...I might be able to help you out with 70-71 spindles because I have a customer coming in and we're going to be converting the complete front suspension to coil overs etc....one thing I don't know is what is currently on the car for brakes...and it might be a few weeks before I can get the car here.

Keep looking and I will keep you in mind... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

Has anyone explored the possibility of changing the inner bearing/race to fit the newer knuckle?
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

cudabud

I asked Cass about that also and he did not know of a bearing that would work with the hub. It had crossed my mind to get a machine shop to open the hub enough to allow me to press a big bearing race in place, but it may cost more than the hub due to machine setup and work. It seems like the outer bearing is the same as it seats nicely on the spindle.

MoparLeo

As said before, the 73 up is the way to go. The inner bearing carries the load. That is why it is larger than the uoter bearing.
If your hubs are new, it seems that you could sell them to recoup some of your money. Or better yet, sell the complete kit . That might be easier. Then you could get the correct parts maybe even go different since brake technology improves every year.
Once you start modifying parts you are just opening a never ending can of worms because you are then on your own if you ever have problems.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

purple70rt

Hate to drag this back up, but what style did 1972 have? I see you are talking about 70 - 71 and 73 - 74 but no mention of 72.

Brads70

Quote from: purple70rt on November 29, 2023, 02:05:34 AMHate to drag this back up, but what style did 1972 have? I see you are talking about 70 - 71 and 73 - 74 but no mention of 72.

Big bearing I believe. Measure to be sure? Stock Rotors are cheaper for the big bearing spindles as well. 1.250-inch-diameter inner wheel bearing, vs 1.375 inches. Mopar is famous for using up parts from previous model years so you never know for sure without measuring.
Another way to check is to use the rockauto catalogue and look up the wheel bearings and usually they list the sizes when you click on the part.

EV2RTSE

70-71-72 I believe are all small bearing. Big bearing for 73-74.