Main Menu

1970 340 Throttle Cable

Started by plymouthbelvy, December 21, 2017, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

plymouthbelvy

Hi all, I am in need of a throttle cable for a 70 Challenger with 340. I just tried a 318 2-barrel cable and its too long. Wont go to wide open throttle. Would like to know length and possible part#. Thanks.

Burdar

What throttle bracket are you using and how did you adjust the cable?

Have someone hold the pedal down all the way while you hold the carb at WOT.  Then clamp the cable in place.

plymouthbelvy

Using a 70 340 factory cast iron intake with the correct 70 bracket for 4-Barrel. Edelbrock 600 with the mopar arm on the carb. Cable is to long with carb wide open and then cable adjusted. I have adjusted several over the years with no problem. Cable is too long.Thanks,Mike.

303 Mopar

Unless you require an OEM part, I would recommend a Lokar cable.  I've put these on several cars and they work great! 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-tc-1000u/applications

Daveh

Shane Kelley

Check with @MoparDave at Roseville Moparts. I'm sure he can get you fixed up. 

Burdar

Can you post a picture?

With the cable all the way compressed and the carb at WOT.  I can't picture how the overall length of the cable would cause your problem.  A 340 and 318 cable both have the same ends on them.  It might have to do with the non stock carb and Mopar adapter not being in the stock location.  You could technically have a ten foot long cable and it would still work with the correct bracket.  You'd just have 8 feet of cable looped around at the firewall.

The factory used an extension on certain applications.  Have a look at this picture.  Would something like this help you?
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachments/throttle-cable-bracket-jpg.115275/

340challconvert

This also may be helpful from Bill Rolek's website
Cable part numbers and original cables are color coded:

Throttle Cable Color Codes and Part Numbers

Hemi: Light Blue (Thanks, Joe)

3418839 for 70-71 383/440 4 bbl.: Candy Red

3418840 for 70 340+6 and 70-71 440+6: Brownish/Orange

3577525 for 70-71 340 E-body: Hunter Green (still trying to confirm)

He also sells reproduction cables.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

plymouthbelvy

Thanks all for the info. I looked at Roseville and has no listing for 340 4bbl just 340 six pack.Most places I have looked have listed for BB,Hemi or Sixpack. Does anybody have the factory 340 cable length? I have seen so many listings that have a different length for the same application.Different from one sight to another.

plymouthbelvy

Thanks but mine is 340 4BBL not Sixpack.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

plymouthbelvy

Thanks,I was told 4bbl and 6pack cables were different. I thought this cable was for 6pack.