Main Menu

70 Challenger Original Convertible Top Boot

Started by schlett7nu1, November 30, 2020, 08:24:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

Want to buy 70 Challenger original black convertible top boot for my survivor car.  I currently have what's considered the best repro that I can't even get on.

anlauto

That would be a tall order finding an original one that is still in nice enough condition to actually use  :alan2cents:  Good luck with your search  :fingerscrossed:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

worthywads

Are you saying the best repro is too small to install?  I bought a reproduction through Jim's Auto Parts way back in 1994, it was very very tight when I first got it but with the heat of the sun it fit.  25+ years later it fits almost on the loose side.  I always assumed it was Legendary Auto Interiors that actually made the boot. 

70vert

Quote from: worthywads on November 30, 2020, 05:13:49 PM
Are you saying the best repro is too small to install?  I bought a reproduction through Jim's Auto Parts way back in 1994, it was very very tight when I first got it but with the heat of the sun it fit.  25+ years later it fits almost on the loose side.  I always assumed it was Legendary Auto Interiors that actually made the boot.

I got mine from Legendary, have had it for 5+ years and it is also now on the loose side. It came with plastic molding clips and a package of rivets/snaps to install but the clips work well so never did. Honestly, I have the top up about 75% of the time so not too concerned about a tight fit (drive it don't show it).

JH27N0B

I assume the one on my Challenger is a repro, it was on the car in 97 when I bought it and the previous owner had restored the car 4 or 5 years earlier.  It has a manufactures label on it, but it isn't Legendary and it's not a name I recognize.  It fits great, except I can never get a 3 snaps on each rear interior panel to line up to snap in place.  At best 2 on each side.
My car rarely leaves my property with the top up for religious reasons (owning a convertible and driving it on nice days top up is a mortal sin  :D), so my boot gets used often each driving season.  I don't like that I can't get all the snaps snapped but from what I'm hearing about other's luck with repro boots I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Rich G.

When I got the new top from legendary I had to install it snaps for the inside panel so they would be in the correct spot. Legendary did not put them in for that reason.

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on November 30, 2020, 07:42:48 PM
When I got the new top from legendary I had to install it snaps for the inside panel so they would be in the correct spot. Legendary did not put them in for that reason.

Exactly :iagree:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

schlett7nu1

I bought it from Legendary about 10 years ago.  It's way too tight.  I can't get the clips to engage it won't reach.  I've tried everything from sun to low heat gun and the clips fall short of my well trim.  It's an unrestored survivor that's never been apart.  I therefore never used it.  I just retract the top and leave it open.  I like the look of the boot when I attend shows.  I don't want to buy another Legendary boot if the fit is the same.  Since my car is a survivor I hoped to find an original black boot.  I realize that's a tall order.  But you never know.  Maybe I got a poorly made boot from Legendary.  I looked at possibly cutting the stitching from the clips and attempting to relocate them but that wouldn't have been an easy task.  If there is another manufacturer that makes a better fitting boot I'd like to know who that is.  I always drive the car with the top down on nice days.  The look of the folded top in the well is not clean.  I'd really like to have a boot installed.

Crocha617

Not sure if it's original or not but just saw it on facebook.

schlett7nu1

I appreciate the tip.  I'm not on Facebook.  I'll try to find someone who is to allow me to contact the seller.

schlett7nu1

No luck accessing Facebook.  Any way you'd be willing to respond to his Facebook ad and ask him to contact me via phone or email?  I can send you my info.
thanks

Crocha617

schlett7nu1