Main Menu

70 E-Body AM radio chrome pushbutton - just need one chrome pushbutton - FOUND

Started by CudaJim, December 10, 2023, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaJim

mtull

CudaJim

@mtull

Thanks for pointing that auction out.  I made an EPay purchase of a bag'o used chrome AM pushbuttons (like 35 in the bag) from the seller, who I think was Greg Ward.  I hope there is at least one decent used chrome pushbutton in the bag for my purposes...

Anyway, thanks to all for the assistance!

Jim

mtull

Fingers crossed at least one is correct for you're car.  Please keep us updated.

CudaJim

@mtull

Bag of '70 E-body radio chrome pushbuttons came in, all were correct for the application but most all had chrome finish issues as described in the auction.  A few were decent used - I picked out one that was a good match to the other existing pushbuttons and installed it. The radio still needs some silver paint detailing and some cleaning, but the pesky button issue is addressed.  Now I have some spare pushbuttons, maybe I'll send some out for rechrome sometime.  One person has reached out for a set.... Thanks to all for the help!  Jim

mtull

:banana: I'm not one for emojis but felt it was warranted in this case.  I spent some time earlier this year browsing for plastic chrome services without much luck.  I'm sure my search skills are the issue.  Please keep us updated if you decide to send those out. 

Congratulations on your find!

CudaJim

@mtull

:thankyou:

I think it was your 'find', so thanks for pointing me to the first auction - that lead me to another auction by the same seller...

Jay Bee

Getting that stash was probably the most economical way of solving your dilemma. You should easily be able to makeup your cost by selling the remainders so basically it'd be a free repair. Congrats, glad to hear of this best possible outcome.

CudaJim

FYI, I checked this out earlier today using extra radios I have, in case anyone is wondering:

These '70-'71 chrome pushbuttons for the Phillips AM radios are not direct replacements for the Motorola 72-74 E-Body AM radio with the black pushbuttons (to turn a 72-74 radio into a 70-71 radio).  The chrome buttons are about 1/8" shorter and most importantly, from what I can tell they don't attach to the radio the exact same way.  I can't tell how the black buttons come off of the Motorola radio.  Maybe someone knows for sure if the Phillips radio pushbuttons can be swapped to the later Motorola, but it doesn't look straightforward to me.