Main Menu

70 Gran Coupe Door Panels.

Started by TimS, November 23, 2019, 03:56:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

@jlemler there wasn't a "Gran Coupe" OPTION on the 1970 Plymouth E-body line
          - there was simply a "leather bucket seat interior" OPTION
          on BH23 & BS23 cars it included the overhead consolette (~$120 on hardtops)
          on BH27 & BS27 cars it did NOT include the overhead consolette (~$65 on convertibles)

BH = Barracuda (STANDARD w/vinyl bucket seat interior)
BP = Gran Coupe (STANDARD w/leather bucket seat interior)
BS = 'cuda (STANDARD w/vinyl bucket seat interior)

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 26, 2019, 11:38:29 AM
@jlemler there wasn't a "Gran Coupe" OPTION on the 1970 Plymouth E-body line
          - there was simply a "leather bucket seat interior" OPTION
          on BH23 & BS23 cars it included the overhead consolette (~$120 on hardtops)
          on BH27 & BS27 cars it did NOT include the overhead consolette (~$65 on convertibles)

BH = Barracuda (STANDARD w/vinyl bucket seat interior)
BP = Gran Coupe (STANDARD w/leather bucket seat interior)
BS = 'cuda (STANDARD w/vinyl bucket seat interior)

My 1969 built 1970 Barracuda is a BP23 Gran coupe with overhead console and AC, PW ,PS and the woodgrain interior trim. A true Gran coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

jlemler

Here is what I know.  I am not an authority I just know what I have been told and what I have learned putting together my 70 Cuda.

Once the leather bucket option was ordered you automatically got all the gran coupe features.  That includes the door with inserts (red if the seats were hounds tooth).  In the case of the Cuda the Cuda emblems replaced the gran coupe emblems on the interior door panels.  You also would receive the hardboard headliner with consolet.  There is no grand coupe interior option every listed; however, once you choose the leather seats on a Cuda it automatically checked off the other gran coupe options.

I do know two things from my experience getting the door trim is hard and expensive.  Finding a decent map light is very hard and can be very expensive.

So depending on what side you choose I have a Cuda with a gran coupe interior options or I have a Cuda with leather bucket seats, door inserts, hardboard headliner, and consolet.  Either way once restored it a damn nice car.

Fastmark

Fastmark

I have the matching other side but it's missing one piece. I have two complete rear panels in white.

TimS

Quote from: jlemler on November 26, 2019, 10:31:56 AM
I have a Cuda with the gran coupe option.  Two things that where very hard to find and deal with was the roof console with map light.  The wood inserts.  I used old decent black door panels and redyed them.  Why?  The have the marks to put the holes for the tabs that keeps the trim in place.  If you find a set of trim be very careful with the tabs on the back they will break off very easily.  I have found them in two places.  Ebay or Carlisle.  Last year there where a few random pieces of trim here or there.  If the tabs on the back are broken you can epoxy the trim on.  I did that on one of my rear panels.

The map light is going to be the next thing you will have to find if you don't have it.  After years of searching I found an almost new one at Carlisle for 25.00.  If you want to pay serious money there are always ones on ebay,

I do have an overhead console if you looking for one.

Thanks for the info. I do have an original set of white that have been dyed black that really aren't  in all that great of shape. They are Cuda though. If I recall correctly, the Gran Coupe emblem holes are different on the panels aren't they?
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6 727 4.10 Dana
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe 440 727 3.23 SG
1971 Plymouth Cuda 340 4 spd. 3.91 SG
1972 Plymouth Barracuda 318 904 3.23
2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Hemi 6spd. 3.92 SG

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: TimS on November 28, 2019, 04:50:24 AM
Quote from: jlemler on November 26, 2019, 10:31:56 AM
I have a Cuda with the gran coupe option.  Two things that where very hard to find and deal with was the roof console with map light.  The wood inserts.  I used old decent black door panels and redyed them.  Why?  The have the marks to put the holes for the tabs that keeps the trim in place.  If you find a set of trim be very careful with the tabs on the back they will break off very easily.  I have found them in two places.  Ebay or Carlisle.  Last year there where a few random pieces of trim here or there.  If the tabs on the back are broken you can epoxy the trim on.  I did that on one of my rear panels.

The map light is going to be the next thing you will have to find if you don't have it.  After years of searching I found an almost new one at Carlisle for 25.00.  If you want to pay serious money there are always ones on ebay,

I do have an overhead console if you looking for one.

Thanks for the info. I do have an original set of white that have been dyed black that really aren't  in all that great of shape. They are Cuda though. If I recall correctly, the Gran Coupe emblem holes are different on the panels aren't they?

Yes they are different. Gran coupe holes are broader spaced apart than cuda, I'll try to get a picture today as I have both here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

TimS

Is it possible to buy repo black Cuda panels and make holes for the Gran Coupe inserts and emblems?

CudaMoparRay

I don't see why not but maybe the experts have different advise

HEMICUDA

8)
Quote from: TimS on December 08, 2019, 06:33:22 PM
Is it possible to buy repo black Cuda panels and make holes for the Gran Coupe inserts and emblems?

Absolutely, piece of cake, transfer the holes over from the original panels to the new ones.

TimS

Thanks HEMICUDA.     :bradsthumb: :bradsthumb:

That would be the plan. Due to chalky white plastic parts I do plan to convert the interior color to black on this car. It's original drive train is long gone so am going to redo this Gran Coupe as I would have ordered it back then, cosmetics wise. The white ones in it now have been painted black by a previous owner so those have to go anyhow and I stand a much better chance of even buying used original black panels if I don't want to go the repop route.

anlauto

Yup, I've done this several times. I like using a hot screwdriver. Heat up a standard screwdriver with a torch and simply push it though the plastic to make nice clean rectangle holes just like the factory. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HEMICUDA

Quote from: anlauto on December 09, 2019, 03:31:41 AM
Yup, I've done this several times. I like using a hot screwdriver. Heat up a standard screwdriver with a torch and simply push it though the plastic to make nice clean rectangle holes just like the factory. :alan2cents:

I've done that 1.5 million times, I would do it that way also if I didn't have other way.  Leave the torch where it's at use a Dremel.

CudaMoparRay

Timely and great information from another E-Bodies.org thread  :twothumbsup: