Main Menu

'71 Challenger Convertible

Started by fantum, August 02, 2022, 03:44:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fantum

Hey all,

I just spent time with a guy who has a '71 Challenger convertible.  While the body looked to be pretty sound, the convertible top frame was pretty rusty, the convertible top was totally removed, and the back seat panels were crumbling before my eyes.  It is a numbers matching car (painted white instead of its original Plum Crazy) 318 automatic (on the column) car with A/C.

I was hoping the members of this fine community might be able to help me find the parts mentioned above.  All recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,

fantum
Mike

ragtopdodge

Top is practically impossible to find.

Anyway it can be repaired?

JustDashes will redo the door panels, just as long as you have them.    They can fix big cracks/speaker holes.

anlauto

For $5500, you would hope it would be rust free :angry:

They usually only rust in the header section, if you can find a good metal man, they can be repaired for a fraction of the cost.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

The interior door panels are available in reproduction. For the fronts, look towards injected molded panels made by Metro, available at several places like our very own Roseville Moparts. The rear panels are only produced in a vacuum formed version and are available through most large venders like Classic Industries.
Here's some samples of the combination of the two manufactures....

Or as mentioned above, you can have the chalky ones wrapped in vinyl by Just Dashes.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71GranCoupe

Did you get the car or still thinking it over?

fantum

My shop partner and I (Hobby shop - working on personal and friends' vehicles) now have our friend's car in our shop.  The data from the fender tag is:

FENDER TAG   
CODE   DESCRIPTION
E43   318 2 Barrel 5.2 liter 8 cylinder
D31   Light Duty 904 Automatic Transmission TorqueFlite
JH27   Dodge Challenger / High / Convertible
G1B   318 230 HP 2BBL 8 Cylinder / 1971 / Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI
222XXX   Sequence Number
FC7   Paint Code: Plum Crazy
H6XW   Trim Grade - High / Style - Vinyl Bucket Seats / Color - Black
000   Upper Door Frame: Full Door Panel
B23   Date Built - 11/23/1970
T23243   Order Number
V3W   Roof Type - Convertible Top / Color - White
U   Built to Specifications for USA Order
A01   Light Package
C55   Bucket Seats
G11   Tinted Glass All
H51   Single Air w/Heater
L25   Lrunk Compartment Light
R11   Music Master Radio - AM
V5X   Black Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side
26   26" Radiator
EN2   End of Codes - Assembly Line 2

fantum

The car has been repainted twice (once B5 and second to the pearl white currently on the car.  We are currently evaluating the car and attempting to get the engine ready to start (soaked cylinders in Marvel for two days, oil is clean, needs new water pump and hoses, and tune-up parts) off of a gas can, the transmission has clean ATF, the brakes need work (MC is dry and front left was frozen), fuel system ..... you guys get the idea.

The car has all of the mouldings except the thin piece on the front of the hood and the 3 pieces around the tail panel.  The interior panels have been repainted at least once and really need to be addressed.  The backseat pieces are rotted and crumble if they are touched.  Underneath, the car is pretty clean except the back seat floor pans which will need to be replaced.  The trunk pan has been poorly patched several times and will need to be replaced as well.  We are still evaluating the car and will provide more information as we move forward.

Anyway, pics are attached.  What are your best guesses for current as well as restored value (we believe engine and trans are numbers matching)?  What recommendations do you have for improving value/fun factor?  I truly enjoy hearing all sides and will probably use some of your input as we make recommendations to the owner about how to go forward.

MIKE
fantum

fantum

And, Alan, thanks for your input.  I was hoping you would chime in as I have watched several of your builds and value your input.

MIKE
fantum

anlauto

Quote from: fantum on September 14, 2022, 09:29:53 AM

What recommendations do you have for improving value/fun factor?  I truly enjoy hearing all sides and will probably use some of your input as we make recommendations to the owner about how to go forward.

MIKE
fantum

Fun factor  :thinking:

70vert

Having a numbers matching 318 motor with 904 trans won't really do much for value. I would seriously consider Alan's recommendation (modern hemi drive train) for value as well as fun factor.

anlauto

Here's the way I look at it, and I'm aware there are a lot of haters out there...but here it goes....A full restoration going the resto-mod route is not only going to cost a lot of money, I guarantee it will yield the most FUN as well as the most PROFIT

For sake of argument lets say your friend has $20,000.00 invested as it sits...

Option #1 Invest an additional $5000.00 for new mechanicals and drive it as is....Resale value maybe around $30,000.00  Profit= $5K ....Fun = 2 out of 10

Option #2 Invest an additional $60,000.00 and do a full OE ground up resto back to purple and white, sporting the number's 318 etc....Resale value maybe around $60,000.00  Profit Loss = $20K.... Fun =5 out of 10 or negative 5 for the money lost thing :rolleyes:

Option #3 Invest and additional $100,000 and do a full "resto-mod" restoration...Gen III Hemi, 5spd front rear suspension...etc...etc...Resale value maybe around $150,000.00  Profit= $30K Fun = 11 out of 10 :banana:

Take my car for example....What's it worth stock original, maybe $80K maybe, as a resto mod, people at Carlisle were throwing around the $200K-$225K number all weekend....mind you it's a 71 Cuda and not a 71 Challenger, that's why I was conservative with the above number
:alan2cents:

You may hate the idea of cutting up an original numbers matching car, but you can't deny that resto-mods are the hottest ticket going right now :bigmoney:

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on September 14, 2022, 10:10:52 AM
Quote from: fantum on September 14, 2022, 09:29:53 AM

What recommendations do you have for improving value/fun factor?  I truly enjoy hearing all sides and will probably use some of your input as we make recommendations to the owner about how to go forward.

MIKE
fantum

Fun factor  :thinking:

So he's looking for help on how to fix and flip this car for max profit.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

fantum

No, he's had the car for quite awhile.  (He was going to let it go until his wife reported seeing a local Heat celebrity driving a similar vehicle and she told him he should reconsider that option.)  He wants to get it running, streetable, and would like to restore it soon.  However, he doesn't understand its value and its future value based on the level of restoration he completes.  We are trying to help him determine what he wants for the future of this car.

One of the options I didn't see mentioned was swapping out the motor for a 360/727 package.  I know it isn't as desirable as the 392 Alan mentioned, but the owner could get a lot more fun out of the car and not have to spend quite as much to get there (and the originality could easily be returned by reinstalling the original drivetrain).  What, in your estimation, would that be worth?

By the way, on a side note, I am planning on putting the 392/6-speed in my '70 Cuda - if I ever get it back from Alan Foxx in El Paso (2000 miles from my home in Miami). If anyone knows a good way to light a fire under his derriere, please let me know.  (I do know he responds positively to death threats because that's what he got when he took TOO LONG returning a car to a "gentleman" from south of the border.)  But, I can't go there.

Thanks all for your valuable input.

anlauto

I think if you re-visit my Option #1 listed above, maybe add another $5K for a 360/727 swap, with headers, dual exhaust etc....you may increase the fun factor to a 5 out of 10, and maybe the value will increase by $5K as well :dunno: