Main Menu

B Body Rear End 65-67 or 68-70

Started by gzig5, April 19, 2018, 12:15:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

I'm starting to look for a B Body rear end to swap into my 73 Cuda in order to maximize rear tire width and clearance.  So far I've not been successful other than ridiculously priced stuff on ebay and a new one from Moser or other vendors.  Anyone in have one, or can give me lead on one?  Don't need the center section, just the axles and maybe brake assy but I'd be flexible.  65-70 have the 44" spring perch, but the earlier ones are about 5/8" narrower than the 68-70.  I can re-use my 3.55 Sure Grip in the car, correct?  Drive-able distance to SE Wisconsin preferred but I'd ship one in if the price were right.  Worst case if I could find a wider E-body or other cheap enough, I'd take a swing at narrowing it myself.
Greg

CudaMoparRay

Sounds interesting so subscribing for answer also.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Your center section will fit a 65-70 B-Body hsg no problem.
Sheldon

fc7cuda

I think I might be able to help you out.  :bigthumb:

PM sent

Burdar

QuoteSo far I've not been successful other than ridiculously priced stuff

What ridiculous prices have you seen? 

Depending on what you want to spend, you can buy a cheap C-body housing and have it cut down.  Sometimes you can have the axles cut down...sometimes not.  Just depends on if the axles are tapered where the new splines need to be.  Dr Diff has axles if you need to go that route.

HP2

You actually don't need to cut down the housing for additional clearance.  Where the axle ends are is not the limiting factor as the first interference point is the leaf spring. Moving the springs in an inch removes the interference. 

If you move the springs in then you can either A)bolt in a B body rear or B) keep your E body housing and weld on new spring mounts to realign with the the new spring location. Bolting in a a B housing simply eliminates any cutting or welding. It doesn't actually  create any additional room over the E housing.

Of course, different offset rims are also required if you use the  E housing compared to the B housing if you are going to maximize the new space.

gzig5

Well, miracles do happen.  I've been talking with a member in TX who has a couple of the rear ends I'm looking for, getting ready to looking into shipping or pickup options.  Everywhere I checked locally was a strikeout, and to shorten a longer one isn't worth the effort or cost at this point in the journey.  I was at church this morning and discussing the car with a friend and he mentioned seeing an ad for a swap meet today about 25 miles away.  I scooted down and caught the last hour of it.  As guys were packing up I found a fellow with a trailer full of all kinds of stuff including a rear end minus the center section that was marked 66-67 B-body.  Broke out the tape measure and sure enough it matched.  Because it was near closing time he was willing to deal a little and I got it for $100.  Housing complete with axles and bearings, etc, but no brakes.  I should be able to use the parts off my current one to complete it, with new bearings and seals of course.   I think I did OK as long as there's no hidden damage. 

He also had a complete set of X heads with valves/springs/rockers for a 340 for $400 but I didn't have the cash.  Is that a decent price?

RUNCHARGER

Good deal on the housing. Not sure on the X heads, I would like to know as well as I have a set I have to sell.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Great score on the diff housing & yes the brakes will swap over  :twothumbsup:
X heads are way over rated IMO , they are not as good as you would think , great for a resto other production heads such as the 308 [best] & the Magnum will make more power .

Fastmark

Good deal on the rear end. The last X heads I sold was for a guy who needed some for his 70 A66 Challenger and these were dated correctly for his car. They were uncut originals and I did guarantee them to be crack free. I sold them bare for $400.