Main Menu

Heater Box Rivets

Started by Gary AAR, January 01, 2019, 09:12:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I am restoring the heater box for my 1970 AAR Cuda.  Does anyone know of a good source for the rivets used to attach the sheet metal brackets to the plastic heater box?  The rivets appear to be steel tubular (not solid rivets) with an oval or truss head, and approximately 1/8" or 5/32" in diameter. 

Anyone have any leftover rivets from a prior rebuild that they would want to sell?  Some sources I've seen online tend to sell them in quantities of 50 to 100 (way may than required for one heater box rebuild).

Also, would anyone have a hand rivet clincher tool used to form the end of the rivet that you are no longer in need of and would like to sell?

750-h2

After I zinc plated my brackets I also wanted to use semi solid rivets to get that OE look. I didn't have to rivet tool so to fasten the rivets I bought "push locking nuts" and then dabbed them with a little bit of JB weld.. Works great?                                   

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on January 01, 2019, 10:14:06 AM
After I zinc plated my brackets I also wanted to use semi solid rivets to get that OE look. I didn't have to rivet tool so to fasten the rivets I bought "push locking nuts" and then dabbed them with a little bit of JB weld.. Work great?                                 

You can also use pop rivets and just fill the hole and paint silver.

Good luck finding a tool with the correct "reach" to install the rivets  :alan2cents: when I do them I use my press and even that's difficult.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration