Main Menu

Looking for a R3 small block or equal

Started by mopar thunder, January 14, 2017, 03:17:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

Found out bad news that my block is no good.  It was bored out too much.  :verymad: Trying to swallow what went down but there is no other choice except to start with a sufficient block that will handle my application. I would be interested in it also if it has a rotating assembly. Not sure of all the specs needed yet. If anybody has any leads I sure would appreciate it.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mopar thunder

These blocks are Mopars race blocks. They are made from high strength cast iron and are heavy-duty pieces with extra stock for improved strength. I believe most are Siamese bore so there are no water passages. Better strength I've been told for boosted engines. I've also been told that if you have a good cooling system there shouldn't be any issues.

anlauto

Okay...that makes sense not really my bag baby  :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

New to me too.  Learned something new today!   :twothumbsup:

mopar thunder

I got lucky and found one. Only because the business is NHRA certified and ordered some. Out of the order only 2 are what I need so I snatched one up.  I only had to do this because the shop I previously used didn't do their homework I guess. My Keith Black block was good for 4.080 bore, well mine was taken out to 4.155. My main bearings went once I finally got on it and after taking it apart and doing research this is what I found out. So the cylinder probably warped at some point under boost. Nice after I spent all that money.

ec_co

the R3 block is AWESOME but hard to find. easy to build a big block killer (similar HP or higher, less weight)
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

mopar thunder

Quote from: ec_co on January 24, 2017, 10:47:00 AM
the R3 block is AWESOME but hard to find. easy to build a big block killer (similar HP or higher, less weight)

I confirmed the block is being delivered but to save money I might have to go pick it up. 5 hour ride each way from my house. Not looking forward to that especially in the winter. The R3 is really hard to find but I'm hoping it will be my final for awhile.

ec_co

Quote from: mopar thunder on January 27, 2017, 03:52:47 AM

I confirmed the block is being delivered but to save money I might have to go pick it up. 5 hour ride each way from my house. Not looking forward to that especially in the winter. The R3 is really hard to find but I'm hoping it will be my final for awhile.

there was one for sale here in the Denver area last year, guy wanted I think $3k just for the raw block. painful as it might be, the 10 hour trip is still worth it IMO, especially if you make it into a 'fun' trip and do some other stuff too
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

mopar thunder

Quote from: ec_co on January 27, 2017, 05:21:07 PM
Quote from: mopar thunder on January 27, 2017, 03:52:47 AM

there was one for sale here in the Denver area last year, guy wanted I think $3k just for the raw block. painful as it might be, the 10 hour trip is still worth it IMO, especially if you make it into a 'fun' trip and do some other stuff too

Thanks for the info. I agree the ride could be enjoyable, just have to watch the weather.  I have specific requirements such as a 9.600 deck and I wanted to get into a 48 degree tappet angle instead of the 59. I should get confirmation early next week that it was picked up so maybe next weekend I will make the trip.