Main Menu

Looking for a rear sway bar - 72 Challenger

Started by PatO, November 03, 2018, 08:43:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

Hello,

I'd like to see if I could find a factory rear sway bar for my 1972 Dodge Challenger.  I mostly need the bar and the brackets that attach the bar to the frame.

Thanx and let me know if you know of anything or someone.

HP2

Contact Firm Feel. They don't list them on their site but they have em.

http://www.firmfeel.com/

PatO

I talked with Firm Feel today. They indicated that the rear sway bar is very similar to the factory bar but the brackets that mount the bar to the frame rails are a bit different.  What I'm wondering is which exhaust system will fit with the Firm Feel bar ? 

I have TTI headers. The instructions for the TTI 2.5" exhaust says it wont fit with a Firm Feel rear bar. ? The TTI exhaust only has mufflers forward of the rear axle and pipes the rest of the way to the tail.

I had already set up the various hangers and heat shields for the resonators/mufflers system that was used on the original cars of the era.  Accurate Exhaust has just such a setup. Resonators in front of the axle, over the axle pipes, then mufflers along side the gas tank then the tail pipe tips.  Accurate says it's a close fit with the factory bar and they weren't sure about the Firm Feel bar.  :huh:

Does anyone have any experience with a Firm Feel rear sway bar with the Accurate exhaust system ???  That's kinda whats at the root of my dilemma.

Thanx

Brads70

If your not concerned with originality or " correct" take a look at the Hotchkis rear sway bar. I'm using it on mine bolts onto the housing from the bottom, so more exhaust clearance. It's also very light as it's hollow.  :bigthumb: It also bolts to any housing with 3" tubes, so if you upgrade to a Dana, or B-Body width rear end it simply unbolts off the old rear end and bolts onto the new one. Also has 3 positions for adjustments/fine tunning. 

Topcat

I did try to put the rear sway bar on after putting in a front to back 2.5" exhaust.

It wasn't possible.

What I believe is, that when you go that size, the angles are more relaxed because of size so it goes into the area where the sway bar will be.

You can certainly put the sway bar in first then try the 2.5" over it.
Might be a little tricky.

RUNCHARGER

I ran a factory rear bar with 3 inch exhaust on my orange car but it wasn't TTI exhaust. It's definitely possible.
Sheldon

Topcat

Here is a picture on my car to show how it takes up a lot of the room for an upper sway bar.

blown motor

I have 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust on my 74 Challenger with factory sway bar. It all fits. It was on the car when I bought it.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

PatO

Great!  Thank you for the responses and the pics.

I had been thinking about the Hotchkis bars from the beginning of the build and then I started wondering about the stock or close to stock set up. 

I'll make up my mind and probably get to this in the next few weeks.  I'll post a follow up with pics.

Thank you again.

HP2

Quote from: Topcat on November 05, 2018, 07:40:58 PM
I did try to put the rear sway bar on after putting in a front to back 2.5" exhaust.

It wasn't possible.

What I believe is, that when you go that size, the angles are more relaxed because of size so it goes into the area where the sway bar will be.

You can certainly put the sway bar in first then try the 2.5" over it.
Might be a little tricky.

I think this is the key. Sway bar first, exhaust second, and you can manipulate locations to make everything work well together. If you already have your exhaust in, it may require some cutting and welding to 1-allow the bar to get in and 2- create the space for each to function.

shawge

I've got a E-body width FF rear sway bar kit that I do not need

Pics here, I'm flexible on price. PM me if interested.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-wanted/25/found-one-rear-sway-bar/5644/msg80817#msg80817

Edit: forgot to add that I have 3" TTI exhaust and a FF B-body width rear sway bar and it fits just fine. Closet spots have a ~1" to 1.5" gap.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet