Main Menu

No longer needed: 1970 one year hood safety latch

Started by Odin, December 24, 2019, 11:02:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Odin

Quote from: YYZ on December 26, 2019, 05:49:43 AM
If your current hood does not have the rib where you can mount the bracket (sounds like a very early stamping), IMHO it would still be easiest to jury-rig something for the metal guide that holds the wire.  Shorter screws, rivnuts, fabricate a new bracket, use automotive panel adhesive, etc. 

YMMV

It is an early hood without crumple zones. I will end up fabricating a new bracket. I'm glad you chimes in because I was super close to buying a 70 latch even at the higher prices that latch demands!

anlauto

About 11 years ago I restored this 1971 shaker hood Challenger. I'm a little embarrassed to tell you how I fixed the same problem.
Back in the day they're wasn't any reproduction hoods available, we had to make one using a Scott Smith Harms kit....I sourced a super clean flat hood, did all the conversion work, had the car painted and NEVER noticed until assembly time that the 1970 hood was missing the "boss" for the mounting of the support bracket. With the car heading straight to a indoor show in Toronto, I was short of time, so I used 3M double sided body molding tape. I made a stack with the tape maybe 5/16" tall...added some screws into the tape, then stuck it to the hood. :looney: Nowadays I would use some sort of epoxy or panel adhesive  :thinking:

That car has changed hands several times now, with the last time being at Mecuum for a crazy $305K....So I can only guess the sticky tape is holding up or someone fixed it another way... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration