Main Menu

Reproduction Cuda convertible panels UPDATED

Started by anlauto, May 13, 2022, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Anybody have a set of White Cuda convertible rear interior panels made by Palco/Dash Top ? I have two sets on order since August 2021....still not in yet  :pullinghair:
There are sellers on eBay selling them, but they don't have them either.... :foul:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Well sort of....The two sets I ordered 10 months ago just showed up today.... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Look for some detail photos side by side with the Metro door panels....

I promised @Jay Bee I would post some  :takepicture:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Okay John, here you go....These are new right out of the box, Metro Door Panels (Roseville Moparts) next to Palco/Dashtop rear panels (Classic Industries)

anlauto

Okay, obviously the colour white is different between the two panels....but here's some interesting facts:

Did you know that BOTH companies paint these panels their own idea of white ? I didn't suspect the Metro panels were painted, but a quick look at the inside vs the outside, it's pretty obvious  :rubeyes:

anlauto

So here's my plan.....Check out this wonderful colour match that I'm getting with SEM 15103 Super White.....I think it's likely what Palco/Dashtop uses and more importantly it almost matches the material used by Cipher when making my seats...I'm going to paint the front interior panels and arm rest pads :)

Look closely in the circles for a test spray square I did using SEM's paint on both the rear interior panel and seat. Up first the interior panel, then the seat and spray test...

Only major down fall is the riveted on window fuzzy (last picture)

anlauto

I think with factory white interior, like the purple convertible I'm doing, I will consider painting the rear panels to match the Metro fronts  :thinking:

Jocigar

Good to know, eventually I will need rear panels and rear upper seat frame if I even finish first project.

Does SEM sailcloth white match the original interior, legendary covers? this is just for my education for down the road.

Do you think the texture will look even more similar once both panels are color matched ? 

Glad its coming together for you  :twothumbsup:

anlauto

Herb's puts out a white that is a better match for factory interiors  :alan2cents:

Thanks, I'll be sure to post more pictures, once painted and installed... :takepicture: :wave:

Mr Cuda

The metro panels have texture that looks close to factory.
It's disturbing how poor the rear panel texture is and how  rounded the edges are.
Why oh why doesn't metro make convertible panels?
And what did those back panels cost?

anlauto

Metro really drop the ball when it came to convertible panels :headbang: ....I guess they figured the market wasn't large enough ? :dunno:

The difference in details you pointed out are the result of two different types of plastics and two completely different manufacturing techniques. Vacuum formed vs injected molded.

The rear convertible panels are $759.99 pair, at Classic Industries.  :bigmoney:

Jay Bee

Quote from: anlauto on May 27, 2022, 11:05:26 AM
Okay John, here you go....These are new right out of the box, Metro Door Panels (Roseville Moparts) next to Palco/Dashtop rear panels (Classic Industries)

Thanks very much Alan. That is a huge color difference, wasn't expecting it to be so drastic. I was aware of the grain and detail being off. Nice job on the color match, I had to get my 3.25 glasses out to see the square.

Jay Bee

:thinking:  this might be a good thread to  :deadhorse: ...from ten years ago.

YYZ

Jeff Bobst and his colleague had made a run of 'Cuda rear convertible panels as a winter project many years ago.

They had nailed the texture and look, though I recall there may have been a seam on the part that wraps around the pinchweld in the door jamb.  Wonder if they still have the tooling?

Also, with the Palco panels at almost $800, does going with Just Dashes or similar make more sense? Or rehabbing originals with the method in the other post?

anlauto

Quote from: YYZ on May 27, 2022, 01:29:36 PM

Also, with the Palco panels at almost $800, does going with Just Dashes or similar make more sense? Or rehabbing originals with the method in the other post?

In my opinion, I'd rather look at painted plastic panels that don't match perfectly, then to have them wrapped in vinyl by Just Dashes....that's just MY opinion :alan2cents:

larry4406

Quote from: YYZ on May 27, 2022, 01:29:36 PM
Jeff Bobst and his colleague had made a run of 'Cuda rear convertible panels as a winter project many years ago.

They had nailed the texture and look, though I recall there may have been a seam on the part that wraps around the pinchweld in the door jamb.  Wonder if they still have the tooling?

Any more details on this prior reproduction attempt/success?  First I have ever heard of it and the name is not familiar to me.