Main Menu

Vinyl Top Trim

Started by drew43a, August 04, 2019, 06:55:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

i am looking for the trim to put a full vinyl top back on my car that was removed a long time ago. I believe its chrome trim that goes around the car below the back window. for a 70 Cuda

anlauto

There's also to small pieces that cap off at the bottom of the A pillars  :alan2cents:
Challenger is different then Cuda and SE Challenger's is even different again...

I believe it is available in reproduction. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

drew43a

Wan't sure about the A piller caps. i had a 70 Barracuda with a full vinyl top as a teen and dont recall those caps. but that was 40 years ago  lol

anlauto

Yea these should be in place...snagged this picture from eBay, there's a couple of pairs on there now with ridiculous prices  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

7E-Bodies

So delighted to have found mine. My car was bought as a completely disassembled project. The previous owner was meticulous, yet I didn't remember seeing them and was a bit concerned. A couple of months ago I was going through a small biz he had marked "various small parts" and there they were, wrapped in cloth. I'm seriously thinking of asking a fab shop if they could make these. Such a simple part and so rare.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

How much were they going for on Fee Bay?

anlauto

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 04, 2019, 09:57:02 AM
How much were they going for on Fee Bay?

The couple of sets I saw were around $100 :o

7E-Bodies

Are challenger and Barracuda the same?

anlauto

The A pillar pieces YES, but the trim around the back, NO :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: drew43a on August 04, 2019, 06:55:30 AM
i am looking for the trim to put a full vinyl top back on my car that was removed a long time ago. I believe its chrome trim that goes around the car below the back window. for a 70 Cuda

It's actually stainless. It shouldn't be that hard to find on eBay or at Mopar swaps. Quite a few folks remove the vinyl tops on their cars during restorations and don't want them back on for fear of rot issues later. And if you find a set with scratches or dents, it's pretty easy to repair and polish yourself. I'd avoid warped bent up stuff as I think that's harder to fix right in my opinion.

7E-Bodies

I'd like to have every set tossed aside from cars that were butchered from original or scrapped out. There's a guy just down the road from me that "has a pair laying around the garage somewhere" that completely modified a 70 Challenger that had a top at one time. I'll keep working him.

70 Challenger Lover

There are two sets on eBay for $75 each set.

They are around. It's just that they are so small they get set aside and forgotten about. I'm reasonably sure I have an extra set in my parts pile somewhere but I haven't seen them in years. Probably won't find them until I get ready to move and start packing up.

I actually see them pop up on eBay quite often. I never realized they were getting harder to find and not being reproduced. I've seen sets come up cheaper but I don't follow them so could be they get grabbed up quick if it's a buy it now item. If $75 is too steep, set a watch on eBay for them and check it twice a day. They do come up and I bet you find a set for $50 or less if you are patient. People gripe a lot about eBay but I grab deals like that on things I need often.

Dazmom

I've got a pair from a 72 Challenger that I'd be willing to part with. I also have the rest of the vinyl top trim. All in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70 Challenger Lover

You will find another set of these cheaper. I'd grab them now and get the rest of the trim later since it's easier to find. You can sell these later if you change your mind.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223614590139

06Daytona

I have a set from my 72 in my garage or storage or other storage or other storage. If I can find them in the next few days I'll post pictures. I'd be willing to let them go cheap just to get them out of the way