Main Menu

Wanted: A-body or TUFF crush can

Started by HITTER23, July 18, 2020, 09:15:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HITTER23

HI,

Im looking for a reasonable priced A-body or TUFF crush can to put on a 1972 Cuda. I doesnt need to be perfect or show quality by any means , just needs to fit lol.

JS29

@HITTER23  You do not need to change your crush can to install a tuff wheel on an E-Body The factory one works just as is.  :alan2cents:

HITTER23

Quote from: JS29 on July 18, 2020, 10:41:06 AM
@HITTER23  You do not need to change your crush can to install a tuff wheel on an E-Body The factory one works just as is.  :alan2cents:

Yes, i know, im looking to use my old steering wheel . Seems the steering wheel is alot closer to the belly than back in the day lol

70/6chall

Hitter23....... I have that same girth problem buddy. So I decided to take off the Rim Blow steering wheel in lieu off something a little less restrictive. JS29 is correct on not needing anything but the factory E-body crush can to mount a Tuff Wheel on the column. Worked for me plus I like the grip on the Tuff Wheel (see pic). Thanks,   Al

JS29

Plus i got a fish on mine, From member @Mickm .It Looks like it belongs there, Like the rim blow wheel.     :cheers:

Burdar

Just so everyone is clear... @HITTER23 doesn't want to change his steering wheel.  He wants to use the one he has.  He wants to move the wheel closer to the dash so he has more room.  Using a Tuff Wheel adapter should accomplish this.  :bigthumb:

The only thing to be aware of is that the stock E-body crush can was designed to "crush" during an accident if the steering wheel ever came into contact with a person's body.  The steering column itself doesn't collapse.  An A-body steering column(where the Tuff Wheel adapter was used) is designed to crush. By installing the Tuff Wheel adapter on an E-body, you are loosing that safety feature.

anlauto

If using a factory steering wheel, and the tuff wheel adaptor, how close does the factory steering wheel come to the dash pad ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HITTER23

Quote from: anlauto on July 20, 2020, 07:11:39 AM
If using a factory steering wheel, and the tuff wheel adaptor, how close does the factory steering wheel come to the dash pad ?

Yes, pretty much sums it up. Anyone have a reasonably priced one?

As for the safety issue, I see the intent, but i seriously doubt that the OEM "crush" can is really going to give all that much on a impact, theyre solid !!

Burdar

QuoteAs for the safety issue, I see the intent, but i seriously doubt that the OEM "crush" can is really going to give all that much on a impact, theyre solid !!

The factory E-body crush cans are not "solid".  They are "ribbed" and designed to collapse in an accident. 

HITTER23

:woohoo:
Quote from: Burdar on July 20, 2020, 07:49:08 AM
QuoteAs for the safety issue, I see the intent, but i seriously doubt that the OEM "crush" can is really going to give all that much on a impact, theyre solid !!

The factory E-body crush cans are not "solid".  They are "ribbed" and designed to collapse in an accident.

I didnt really "solid" I just meant that i dont see them collapsing that much on impact.  Thats some thick steel the ribs are made of...

Burdar

Pictures have been posted showing them "crushed".  They do crush in an accident.  They work just like the crush sleeve in an 8 3/4 rear end.