Main Menu

Wanted: E-body Console Lid/Door Hinge

Started by Floyd, December 11, 2021, 09:17:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

Looking for a hinge like this with nice plating.  I believe this is the later style (71-74) hinge with a thinner gauge wire spring.  Hoping the thinner gauge will help me get a better fit on center console door.

Thanks

B5fourspeed

I have tried 3 hinges on my console door and I still can't get the door to fit properly.When I lay the door down without the hinge it fits perfect.I have tried everything.

fc7cuda

Quote from: B5fourspeed on December 12, 2021, 12:06:35 PM
I have tried 3 hinges on my console door and I still can't get the door to fit properly.When I lay the door down without the hinge it fits perfect.I have tried everything.

Does it fit flush with just the hinge and no spring?  I've done it this way afew times.

benguin

Based on prior experiences, the console fitment is not a high precision item.  Way back in the late '70s I had ordered a new door (with hinge) from Chrysler, and it was a bad fit.  Ended up getting an original (either from Ted Stephes or MoPar City) that fit even better than my original.

I do think I've got pn 3415131 somewhere from that bad fitment issue with a ship tag of 03-17-78, if you'd like me to get some measurements for comparison.  Can get number on the bad fit door, and the one on my car if that would help.

anlauto

You should see if @TONY sells the hinge separate, I find his console lids close nice  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

One just popped up on https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2969154/16.html towards the bottom of the page. Not sure if it is what your looking for.

Floyd

Thanks- Saw that one but it looks a bit off to me.  It looks to be painted and maybe missing some of the spring?  A member over on the B-bodies site is sending me one.  Hope it will do the trick. 

cudaize

I took the hinge apart to get plated on my 71 Cuda and the spring did not survive.  I bought some spring wire and formed a spring.  The spring works well and the lid closes perfectly.  Below is what I made the spring from.  I formed the square end before inserting in the hinge then bent the loop in it was through.  I cut the wire a little long so I had something to grab on and form how I wanted and then cut to length.