Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

Looking for an NOS 71 Challenger LH 340 Exhaust Head-pipe - Part Number 3466270

Cash or trades!

Thanks!

Floyd

Floyd

benguin

Is that a 1971 part only?  I've got a set of factory 1970 340 headpipes that I've had since 1980ish.

I'll see if I can dig out my receipt from the dealer and check the part number.

benguin

Just checked- these are a different part number for '70 'cuda 340-4bbl only.

Floyd

Thanks for checking.  Yes, they're different.  Because they went to different exhaust manifolds in 1971 they had to change the head pipes.  Here are some pics of an NOS RH pipe.  There is about an 18" section of smaller diameter pipe welded to the end that meets the manifold.  Note the floating flange as well.  I'm guessing they just modified the 70-style pipes instead of making an entirely new full length pipe.

@71vert340. I don't suppose you have the original head pipes on you car still?  I had an exhaust vendor claim that the short section of pipe was clamped not welded on assembly line cars.  I don't think that makes sense. 

anlauto

Quote from: Floyd on February 02, 2023, 09:25:49 AM
I had an exhaust vendor claim that the short section of pipe was clamped not welded on assembly line cars.  I don't think that makes sense.

Yea, you're correct, that would have never happened at the factory... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benguin

That RH pipe is pretty wild-- hard to believe that was cost effective to weld up the smaller diameter pipe.   On the 1970 pipes, they are clearly one piece all the way with welded flanges on both LH and RH.  It's amazing how many one year only items our cars have.

Floyd

Thought I'd post a follow up.  A member over on FEBO with a survivor 71 340 cuda (FJ6, white vinyl top, and billboard!) shared pictures of his original head pipes.  Both sides are welded and appear to match the NOS example.