Main Menu

wanted show quality rear bumper for 1974 dodge challenger

Started by RED 74, January 30, 2020, 09:35:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RED 74

I am looking for a new nice chrome show quality rear bumper for a 1974 dodge challenger.

anlauto

Have you tried contacting Roseville Moparts ? Members here get a discount.  :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Burdar

Are you going to reinstall the factory 74 bumper guards...or are you deleting them?  If you plan to use them, DO NOT buy a reproduction bumper.  Have an original 74 bumper rechromed.  The 73-74 bumper guards will not fit a reproduction bumper.

If you plan on deleting the factory bumper guards, you can use a reproduction bumper.  You'll also want to use 70-72 bumper brackets so the bumper doesn't stick out really far from the body.  With the 70-72 bumper brackets, you can also remove the three rear bumper fillers.

7212Mopar

I managed to put 73 rear bumper guards on a repro rear bumpers. They don't fit quite like the original bumper and I made a few scratches. It is metal to metal contact.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Burdar

I ordered Keystone bumpers from Dave and the bumper guards weren't even close to fitting.  Dave took the bumpers back thank goodness.  I have my original bumpers rechromed.  Even then, the bumper guards didn't fit without some grinding.  They never would have fit the Keystones though.  :alan2cents:

RED 74

I am not interested in the safety bumper guards. I am planning on keeping the filler pieces between the bumper and the body though. Keystone only offers the front bumper in a "premium quality" not the rear. How was the chrome on your rear bumper from them "keystone"? I got the front bumper from"keystone mfg" and a rear from auto metal direct and all from "year one". The rear bumper from auto metal direct was not nice, if you looked into the chrome you could see all the manufacturing prep scratches before they chromed the part.

Burdar

This is just my opinion but if you are removing all four bumper guards, the car is going to look out of place if you don't move the bumpers in to the 70-72 location.  You can do away with ALL of the 73-74 rubber fillers at that point.  You can easily modify the front brackets to work but the rears are harder.  For the rears it's easier to just get the correct brackets.  You won't have to worry about finding a 74 specific rear bumper either.  74 rear bumpers are one year only pieces.

blown motor

I replaced the bumpers on my 74 and did not move them in. I think it looks fine. I did not re-install the bumper guards but I did have the cutouts in the rear valance filled so I didn't have two holes there. It looks good.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel