Main Menu

WTB - 70 Challenger Original Drum Brake Master Cylinder Cap

Started by schlett7nu1, June 26, 2020, 01:55:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

I have these two power drum brake Bendix master cylinders that came off of 1969 B-bodies

one has the above mentioned "MADE IN CANADA" hold down bracket & appears to have "REMANUFACTURED BENDIX" or similar stamped on the side of the casting

the ODD thing is, both are missing the bolt that holds the "guts" in the master cylinder  :dunno:

anyone seen an  "AANF" cast unit without the bolt, possibly/assumedly for a power drum brake car??  :clueless:

JH27N0B

The first one of these I ever had my hands on was a NOS sample at my old work and it had no retainer screw.  It was in a Bendix box, not a Mopar box. It's the one pictured in the Pumping Points article in Mopar Action.
It was a "newer" sample and my opinion was that late in production Bendix stopped using the screw as a cost reduction.  They manufactured these for approximately 20 years, starting in 1966 for the '67 model year through sometime in the mid to late 80s as replacement parts. Anything made for that long a time is going to have some minor engineering design changes take place over the years.
I had a used one with the pin instead of the bolt.  I suspect a commercial rebuilder reassembled them with a new pin instead of reusing the bolt,  I'm not sure how you'd rebuild one with the pin, it would be a challenge to get that pin out!
I didn't keep any copies of paperwork for the drum master cylinders from when different samples of these were analyzed at my old work like I did for the Mopar disc brake mcs.  I have some notes saying Mopar part numbers 2808577, 2808599 and 3420961 were all determined to be the same when the engineers analyzed them in the late 60s, but they were analyzing for fit and function not looking at any details that someone would be interested in for doing a concours restoration of a car 50 years later of course.

C_B5

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 21, 2020, 09:41:11 PM
@C_B5  can you post pics of the bottom of the casting & any dates

Dan,

some additional pictures of the NOS master cylinder. Shows Bendix and cast number 2225601

Don't recall seeing any "made in Canada" stamps on the lid but will check to confirm. The original label on the box is marked "made and printed in USA" with a 1972 date code (see picture in my previous post).

C_B5

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 25, 2020, 02:32:48 PM
I have these two power drum brake Bendix master cylinders that came off of 1969 B-bodies

the ODD thing is, both are missing the bolt that holds the "guts" in the master cylinder  :dunno:

anyone seen an  "AANF" cast unit without the bolt, possibly/assumedly for a power drum brake car??  :clueless:

Isn't the bolt to hold in the "guts" (piston) on the back of the master cylinder along with a little tab ?
The NOS one in my pictures has that style holddown

Have to check but I may also have a master cylinder with the "AANF" casting

C_B5

Same NOS master cylinder - date codes and "NO" bolt on side

The retaining bolt is on the back side where the piston slides into the master cylinder along with a small tab that holds everything in place. It can be seen in the picture above - silver cad plated bolt.

damon427

Im looking for a 1970 drum brake master cylinder with aanf as a casting number. thanks.

GoMangoBoys

@damon427   I have this one.  Let me know if it interests you.  It came on the car, but I am changing to disc front.  I am sure it needs rebuilt.   I am told it was assembled Oct 1969.  Our car was assembled Dec 1969, so this is probably the original MC.

JH27N0B

Looks like 2988?  That would be 299th day of '68 or '78

damon427

im interested what do you want for it? thanks for answering.
damon

7E-Bodies

I just had a really good experience having my 70 disk brake MC rebuilt at Brake Warehouse in Minneapolis and just today got my booster back from Booster Steve. Great people all around.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green