Main Menu

WTB - Original Convertible Boot Retainer Clips

Started by schlett7nu1, August 18, 2022, 07:35:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

Want to buy four original convertible boot plastic retainer C-clips with metal backing spring.  Repros are all plastic and do not remain engaged on the trim.   I have an older Legendary boot and have replaced all but four of the retainers.

71vert340

Many years ago, the clip was being reproduced. They were pretty close to the originals with the metal spring. I wish I had bought more when they were available as I only bought 21. I'll include a photo of a repro and hopefully someone has some extras to sell you. You answered the question I've wondered about if the plastic repros work well. Here's a bump for you to the top.
Terry W.

Cuda_mark

Is this the new style that you said doesn't work? I was thinking about picking up a set.

Jay Bee

The above pictured is what's on my Legendary boot and have been fine for decades. Maybe I got lucky and got a Wednesday build.

anlauto

My experience with the new style so far is good...I have reproduction trim on my car and the work okay :dunno: clip on fairly simple and stay in place for the most part....mind you, I haven't clipped them on and off a thousand times, maybe only a half dozen times so far...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

My Challenger convertible was restored close to 30 years ago, and the plastic clips on the boot still all in good shape. None have ever broke (knock wood).

schlett7nu1

Yes, the repro clip you show is what was installed.  Because the boot is so taught they don't seem to have the holding force.  I bought an NOS bag of the clips shown by 71vert340 with the metal backing support and they hold great. However, the bag was four short of a complete boot set.  I had to cut the stitching holding the clips in place to remove and replace them.  Once I find four more clips I'll have an upholstery shop resew the boot.