Main Menu

8 3/4 info

Started by Chryco Psycho, January 10, 2017, 08:30:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

cudaragtop

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

redgum78

303 Mopar

So the questions remain which is stronger the 742 or the 489?  And how much HP and TQ can an 8 3/4 handle before you need to switch to a Dana?  :dunno:

Burdar

The 8 3/4 can handle a lot on the street.  It's downfall is slicks on a sticky track and a manual trans.

Dr Diff feels that the 741 is a lot stronger then people give it credit for.  It has a small bearing but the shaft doesn't taper...no stress riser.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/1.html

70/6chall

While we're talking about the 8 3/4 rear ends here, I'll relate this story. Several years ago, the 7 1/4 rear axel in my '70 Challenger decided to start howling, late 80's, early 90's. As this was my daily driver, I had to come up with something real quick. A friend located an 8 3/4 for an E-body for me, so for $50. I had ready to hang an 8 3/4 out of a big block '71 Challenger, with a one legger 742 carrier, 3.23 gear set, 11" brakes. Overkill, probably, but hey! $50. ready to go and it's still up under there. My SL6 will die before the rear end does.        Thanks,   Al

Chryco Psycho

Well My experience tells me the same , traction is the killer
My Duster was 550+ HP , probably similar tq ... but hooked up hard , 60' in 1.40 lifting the front wheels 2'
I would crush the sure grip gears approx yearly , the ring & pinion held up fine!
it was a 489 with 4.30 gears
I transferred the drivetrain into my tube chassis Cuda / no chassis flex / no clutch slippage as I used a much better clutch / no tire slippage as I went up to 14x32" from a 10.5 X 29" tire
I only made it 40" , not even 1 full rotation as the pinion tore 37 teeth off of the ring gear before all the pinion teeth were gone too .
I doubt you can hurt an 8 3/4 if the tires spin !

RUNCHARGER

I pulled the axles on this car just in time, they were twisted pretty good, I never ran it with slicks. I have no problem running a 741 case either and people give them away.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: Burdar on September 12, 2017, 12:56:48 PM
The 8 3/4 can handle a lot on the street.  It's downfall is slicks
:iagree:
I think the 8 3/4 is plenty strong for a street tire shod car.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

340challconvert

As I go through my car, cleaning up the rear 8 3/4
It is a 489 case and the numbers stenciled on the carrier are 10   22
I am thinking this is the inspection date for the carrier October 22?
The other number above the cast part number appears to be an 8?

The paint markings are still very visible too:  white w orange indicates a 3:55 with sure trac
Just curious on the stenciled numbers; do they indicate a date, car was an early to late October assembly?

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Shane Kelley

The rusty unit it out of a 7/71 car (RoadRunner) and the orange oxide one is out of a 10/70 car (Cuda).  Curious to see if someone knows your answer.