Main Menu

Basic Clutch Info

Started by Cuda Cody, December 26, 2016, 07:11:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

Update: Warning for running new billet steel flywheels. DO NOT USE THE FACTORY FLYWHEEL TO CRANK BOLTS!   Ask me how I know. You have to use the thin head ARP's.
The pocket where the bolt heads sit are not as deep as the original flywheels so the heads of the factory bolts sit closer to the clutch disc. They won't rub the disc springs at first. But with very little disc wear they start rubbing. Sounds like a throw out bearing going out. All kinds of issues develop from this. Vibrations in the drive line, gears wanting to stay engaged when the clutch is depressed, cracked front transmission bearing retainer, etc....

Crash520

I've done it, as previously said, simply get a set of spring relocators and your done, most guys can run 15x10, 5.5"bs and 295 tires once the conversion is done
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

johnr

:twothumbsup: Wow ! That is a ton of info packed into one space. Thanks so much for sharing this one.
--  johnr  --

R/T's 4 R/P

great summary...Thank you.
So, as a winter project I pulled my trans (i am not sure what people do in areas of the country where the weather is nice all the time.  Don't you miss the 5 months of time off just to work on your car and not drive it?!  sarcasm!)
At any rate,  the factory service manual notes lubricating the throwout bearing.  I have never done that, and maybe modern bearings are sealed and closed, but I wanted to see what people think about this.  It would seem to me that interjecting oil/grease into the clutch area is a bad thing.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Chryco Psycho

Mcleod is still making the Borg & Beck long pressure plate & has the street twin still available which is whatis in my car
https://www.racingjunk.com/news/things-we-love-june-new-products-roundup/#McLeod-Racing-Introduces-New-SFT-2000-HP-Street/Strip-Clutch-slide-3

RUNCHARGER

Street Twins are awesome. That's what I'll put into my next car if I build one. They sure beat the old stuff.
Sheldon