Main Menu

Cam selection tips

Started by Chryco Psycho, January 10, 2017, 08:18:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

error LOL

headejm

@Chryco Psycho  Looks like you repeated the carb information instead of the cam selection information.

Chryco Psycho

I keep getting asked the same ?s so I will try to explain the basic principals of cam design & selection. The cam is basically the heart of the engine and controls the power. It is also 1 of the least understood parts of the engine.
There are 4 parameters in the design of cams - duration, lift , overlap, & centerline.
1] duration - this is the most important aspect of the cam as it determines what rpm the cam works at , this is the # of degrees that the valve stays open measured in crankshaft rotation. When selecting a cam this is the first thing to consider determine what you use the engine for & be honest or you will be disappointed with the performance !!
� This works as a guide & the numbers are approx as centerline, porting, roller cams �etc. will vary the results a bit. �
� Advertised � � � � � � �@.050 � � � � � � � � � RPM � � �
� 240 - 250* � � � � � 200 - 210* � � � � � �idle - 4500
� 250 - 260* � � � � � 210 - 220* � � � � � �idle - 5000
� 260 - 270* � � � � � 220 - 230* � � � � � �1300 - 5400 �
� 270 - 280* � � � � � 230 - 240* � � � � � �1500 - 5700
� 280 - 290* � � � � � 240 - 250* � � � � � �2200 - 6000
� 290 - 300* � � � � � 250 - 260* � � � � � �2700 - 6200
� 300 - 310* � � � � � 260 - 270* � � � � � �3000 - 6500 �
� 310 - 320* � � � � � 270 - 280* � � � � � �3500 - 7000+
�The peak Hp will be reached approx 500 rpm before the max rpm & the peak torque will be reached approx 1500 rpm before max rpm, the other secret to making power is to match all the other components such as intakes, headers ,head work converters to work at the same rpm so the whole package works together, you will be disappointed if you match an intake rated for 4500 rpm max with a cam that starts working at 3500 rpm!! �
�2] lift - �this is how far the valve is lifted from the seat, �lift does not affect the rpm the engine works at but the more the better at a given duration , Mopar cams use a wider lifter so the valve can lift faster than other makes. UltraDyne , Hughes & Mopar all have cams designed to take advantage of the wider lifters �Also the Mopar heads stop flowing more air or the valve becomes invisible to the air flow around .550 lift without port work. �
�3] overlap - this is the amount of degrees both of the valves are open at the same time & this is done to use the velocity of the exiting exhaust to help pull in the new air/ fuel mix this effect works better with higher rpm which is why the overlap increases with bigger cams, but the increase also hurts idle quailty & causes the lope when the engine is running. Larger headers will also hurt this effect �by decreasing the velocity & resulting vacuum. �
4] centerline - this is the least understood aspect of cam design & to over simplify the higher the # of degrees the longer & flatter the power band becomes [eg 115*] & the lower the # the shorter & more peaked the power band becomes [eg 106*] �for example a 115 cam may give you 300 hp from 3500 - 5500 rpm with a peak of 375 hp where a 106* cam would give you 275 hp from 3500 -5500 rpm �& a peak of 395 hp [these figures are arbitrarily made up] I prefer the long flat power band , it works well with the long mopar rods & gives pull everywhere but if you have ideal gearing & �5 speeds in the trans to decrease the rpm drop between shifts the car should run faster with a lower centerline cam.
Generally choosing a smaller cam will hurt you less than choosing a cam that is bigger than you need. �

If you have more ??s , ask!!

Modify message
Report to moderator     142.173.141.152 (?)

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Online Chryco Psycho

Re: Cam selection basics
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012 - 07:32:06 AM »
QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic
The main reason I stick with Lunati is Harold , he was the one of the first to take advantage of the wider Mopar lifter & increase the ramp speed accordingly although I am sure Mopar engineers understood the advantages in the 50s when they designed the V8 engines . Harold started UltraDyne & I could see the advantage of using UltraDyne cams years ago , but UltraDyne went out of business & I printed their online catalog before it was removed from the internet . Hes was hired by Lunati at the time he closed his own business , Ulradyne . Since then many have copied him with Mopar specific grinds having more lift at the same duration . Most Comp Cams designs for Mopar are copied from the small block Chev, you can find the exact same grind in both the Mopar & small block sections although they are starting to change , the SBC has a very short rod ratio & needs a totally different cam than the Mopar , it is just lazy to copy the SBC design for Mopar . Harold has created a whole new series of cams for Lunati for all makes of engines which is sold as VooDoo as well most of the UntraDyne profiles can be found in the Lunati catalog still . There is a section around pg 185 with various lobe profiles in Hyd & Solid lobes specifically for the 904 lifter Mopars & AMC