Main Menu

E-Body Hole Locations (Firewall, Door, Interior, ect)

Started by Cuda Cody, January 16, 2017, 09:44:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YYZ, SRT392 and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Cuda Cody

Thanks to Tavis King  :worship: (member: cataclysm80) for many of these and anyone else who made them and contributed.  Here is the best and most thorough detailed photos of hole locations on an E-Body!  Don't let all these drawings scare you.  I've done this a few times and yes these drawings can look confusing.   :D  But it's easy if you take it one step at a time and don't hurry.  And you have ALL these referance photos to refer to in case you need help!   Thanks to everyone who made these and helped out.

The Gray Primer car is a 1970 Challenger with a Scheduled Production Date of August 26th, 1969

Some of the Defogger Motor holes in this picture are only used for the adapter which mounts the defogger with dual rear speakers.
Normally, the Defogger just mounts with the same holes that would be used for the speaker.

The antenna location shown is for Trans Am cars.   Some cars have optional body side molding, and that isn't shown here.

Emissions changed several times over the course of E body production, and California frequently had stricter emissions standards.

Bench Seat cars don't have the inner reinforcements for Bucket Seats under the floor.
Manual Transmission cars will have a larger hole in the tunnel, with a special piece installed to reshape the tunnel.

The red arrows indicate holes which did not contain clips when I got this car, but clips could be installed there, and the factory may have not been particular about which holes received the clips.

Early build cars have a body plug where the Trans Am exhaust tip hanger should be. The provision for the Trans Am exhaust tip hanger was added around the time that the Trans Am cars were built.

This is the driver's side of the car.

Non-Air Conditioned cars won't have an AC temperature control valve, and also won't have an AC dryer. Early build 1970 cars have a dimple in the sheet metal for the California fuel vapor line clip.  Part way through the year, the inner fender was reshaped in this area to better accommodate the California emissions and to prepare for 1971 emissions.

Apparently I wasn't done with this one yet because the red arrows aren't labeled.

I think #2 & #3 are each for a fender support bracket. #6 is where the radiator overflow hose passes through. If anyone knows what these red arrow holes are for, please let me know. The radiator support sheet metal by the washer jar is different for 22 inch radiator cars. The hole which is pictured for wiring ground is exclusive to very early build cars.  They used a bolt and nut here.  All other cars have a threaded insert installed on this panel for the ground bolt. 

Looks like I could use some assistance with a few labels in this picture also. It's probably Manual Transmission stuff (need item names), and maybe a Brake Proportioning Valve? In later years, the inner fender was reshaped to accommodate a different battery hold down design.

In later years, the bumper bracket was held to the frame rail by 3 bolts instead of 2 bolts.

If I remember correctly, cars with an overhead console had an extra door jamb switch here for the Door Ajar light.

On 1970 cars, the side glass weatherstripping attaches with clips that fit into oval holes. On later years, the side glass weatherstripping attached with screws in simple round holes.

Looking down into the quarter window area.

Console shifted automatic transmission pictured. Console shifted manual transmission will be different. Column shifted automatic transmission will be different

The trunk lid torsion rods can be set to a different position, depending on how heavy of an item you have mounted to the trunk lid. Nothing, Luggage Rack, Wing Spoiler,Trans Am Spoiler

Early 1970 trunk lids have provisions for a luggage rack, but not for any spoilers. The Go Wing became available around January, and the trunk lids changed to have provisions for mounting it. The Trans Am spoiler became available around March, and the trunk lid changed again.  The pictured trunk lid is an early trunk lid, but the cutouts for the T/A spoiler have been added.

The hood bumpers located in the rear corners of the hood are small round rubber bumpers attached with a single screw. They are very hard to find.

Cuda Cody

More hole locations (Thanks Alan, HP Cuda, Screamindriver, Topcat and Brad!):

Thanks @HP_Cuda  for the wing photo!

Cuda Cody

All labeled photos in this thread have been copied and posted above.  Photos remain in the rest of this thread if you would like to see who posted them, save them or link to them.  Please give credit to the original poster if sharing.

This spot saved for future photos or updates....

cataclysm80

:)   I was surprised to see a few of those here.   I haven't posted some of those anywhere in years.
I did pretty much the whole car like that.    Maybe I'll post the others sometime.

Tavis

EDIT by Cuda Cody: In an effort to keep all the hole location photos in one place on the first page, I'm adding photos to members posts as needed. Thank you for understanding.

anlauto

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 18, 2017, 12:37:09 AM
:)   I was surprised to see a few of those here.   I haven't posted some of those anywhere in years.
I did pretty much the whole car like that.    Maybe I'll post the others sometime.

Tavis

Please do...those are pretty awesome  :takepicture:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

WOW!! this thread is a phenomenal piece of reference for assembly/hole identification.

One quick note, and please correct me if I'm wrong...on picture nine showing the inside rear, it looks like one of the headliner bow arrows points to a hole used to attach the sail panel.  And one of the factory hole arrows points to a headliner bow hole.

Again, awesome piece of reference.  Thanks Tavis and others!  :cheers:

Tom

Topcat

Isn't the roadlamp hole a different location on 71's?

I recall that before from Alan.

anlauto

Yes the road lamp wire hole moves around from year to year as does the switch location :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on January 18, 2017, 05:09:38 AM
Please do...those are pretty awesome  :takepicture:

Thanks Alan!
It's good to see you here too.  It's been a few years since I've done much with cars, but I'm working on a few again now.
So far I'm really liking how easy it is to upload pics onto this forum.

Tav

cataclysm80

The car in gray primer is a 1970 Challenger.

Sometimes holes do move from year to year, or between models.

Brads70

SteveG

nsmall

Im getting close to strip my first restoration down for media blasting.  This was the scariest page I have ever opened online.  Thanks Cuda Cody, I may have a nightmare tonight.   :whiteflag:  But thanks, real good info

Cuda Cody

Baby steps.     :bigthumb:   Don't over think it.  Take lots of photos when you take the car apart, bag and LABEL everything really well.  If you don't know what it is take a photo of it installed, remove it, put in a bag and put the photo number on the bag.  Then you'll always know where it went and what it looked like installed.  There's NOTHING on your car that someone here or someone on our facebook page doesn't know where it goes. 

Quote from: nsmall on January 20, 2017, 09:25:41 PM
Im getting close to strip my first restoration down for media blasting.  This was the scariest page I have ever opened online.  Thanks Cuda Cody, I may have a nightmare tonight.   :whiteflag:  But thanks, real good info

HP_Cuda

How about some Go Wing installation info!

EDIT by Cuda Cody:  Great photo!  Moved photo to top of thread area!!!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200