Main Menu

Gran Coupe, SE, and A78 (Formal Roof)

Started by EB3-GranCoupe, January 16, 2017, 10:58:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull, headejm, 1970 cuda Joe, tx9cuda and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

EB3-GranCoupe

For those of us that have a Barracuda Gran Coupe, Challenger SE or RT/SE, or '71 Challenger with the Formal Roof option (A78), here is thread for reference information.

EB3-GranCoupe

If you are re-installing the rocker molding on your Gran Coupe, then you know that the clips that held them on are not re-usable as they easily break upon removal.  I have found an option that is re-usable should you need to take the moldings on and off.

Here is a link to what I used:

http://www.hillcofasteners.com/prod/Universal-Nylon-Break-off-Tee-34-Wide-x-3-Long-with-532-Perforations__AV08581.aspx

If I recall, there are six to a side.  Word to the wise: I would order several extra to have on hand for any 'mistakes' in fabricating them to fit.    ;)

They need to be trimmed to fit, but being a universal clip, they have reference marks to clip off. There are indentations at every 1/8" inch or so at each end of the clip, and after having clipped off the ends (they are initially about 3" long) to fit inside the molding (They need to be just under 2 1/2" in length)

I removed the 'tab' on the backside and noticed that the length of the "post" on the clip was just a bit short of allowing it to 'pop' into the hole in the rocker panel.  I probably should have left some of the 'tab' material there in retrospect, so I used the end pieces that I clipped off, and stuffed one in between the clip, and the molding. It pushed the "post" out enough to 'pop' into the hole.

You will want to round off one of the corners so that you can twist them into the back side of the molding. Add the shim if needed, and pop them in!