Main Menu

Grille Install?

Started by MoparsNBurnouts, May 15, 2021, 09:46:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparsNBurnouts

My '70 Challenger is completely together currently, I just got a new full grille assembly. I can't find any reference material about what all needs to be done to remove and install it. I'd rather know what to do first for the sake of time, and I don't want to damage anything because I will be selling my old one. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440

Mrbill426

Mrbill426

I hear that... I broke my grill at the thin headlamp surround neck while removing it... :Thud: probably because of not using the proper sequence of disassembly  :clueless:

Quote from: MoparsNBurnouts on May 15, 2021, 09:46:39 AM
My '70 Challenger is completely together currently, I just got a new full grille assembly. I can't find any reference material about what all needs to be done to remove and install it. I'd rather know what to do first for the sake of time, and I don't want to damage anything because I will be selling my old one. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

anlauto

I think first step would be to remove the bumper to make things easier  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Carefully wrap bumper in rags and pull it off. I remember using waterpump pliers around those square nuts in the grille that the HL doors screw into to avoid wrecking the thin grille at that point.
Sheldon

MoparsNBurnouts

OK, thanks guys. I'm starting now. What does HL stand for?

MoparsNBurnouts

Oh, headlight? The doors through me off

worthywads

I removed my argent grill last year and painted black and reinstalled without removing the bumper.

anlauto

Quote from: worthywads on May 15, 2021, 12:51:05 PM
I removed my argent grill last year and painted black and reinstalled without removing the bumper.

I'm sure it can be done either way, I just it would be easier without the bumper in the way   :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparsNBurnouts

Well, good news bros. You don't have to remove the bumper, just loosen it and slide it forward. Other than having to remove what I can only assume was 1,000 bolts; it was pretty easy. Unfortunately, my brand new grille isn't fitting. It seems the car may have been hit in the past. I think my only options are to cut the grille ends like the last owner apparently did on my old grille, or remove a couple shims from my fender...

340Challman

:'( I hate it when that happens. I get so pumped up looking forward to the new piece looking great on the car, only to get beat to the ground discovering something like that. I hope you can come up with an acceptable solution. :console:
Kevin

MoparsNBurnouts

Yeah, this sucks a lot. How do you move the fender forward like a 1/2"?

anlauto

Sounds extreme, do you have pictures of where and how it's not fitting ?

MoparsNBurnouts

The right furthest bolt is in. This is the left furthest. If I push it down the fender hole is about 3/8" away from lining up. Please help!!

anlauto

If it's a reproduction grill, it will need tweaking to fit, just bend the corner out more until it reaches, that area is all covered by the headlight bucket... :alan2cents: