Main Menu

How to Identify E Body Hood Hinges...

Started by anlauto, March 30, 2022, 02:54:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I made the mistake of asking RestoRick what the difference was in 1970 E Body hood hinges....

Here's what Rick Kreuziger has come up with..... :worship:

The '70 model year is terrible! So many unique one year things.

In the hinges the changes are somewhat logical:
1. Earliest cars, maybe a couple hundred?, had a weird welded on extra bracket that had an up-stop and
wrapped over the back and had a slot. Almost looked like they were thinking of doing another fastener.
Vertical arm were rounded at both ends. Tie strap had clipped corners.

2. Eliminated the extra bracket and had no up-stop. (very limited number of these too)

3. Added a welded-on up-stop. Vertical now had the rounded top and squared off lower end. (Presumably to
make it easier to identify top & bottom when assembling). This is the common "early version 70E".

4. Next variation (approximately 3-31-70), the welded-on up-stop was eliminated and they went with a tab that
was stamped with the base. (Presumably eliminating the welding step).

5. '71-72E- top strap made wider and the rear rivet for it enlarged. (C-body hinges also had this larger rivet change).

6. Late '72E had what I call the "hybrid hinge". The base for the '73-74E with half moon cutouts was used in place of
the normal 71-72E type. Likely they ran out of the normal 71-72E and used the next year's design. It was a flawed
idea though, as the '73-74E base doesn't have the same supporting ribs under the arms and allows them to misalign
the teeth causing accelerated wear. (I weld additional ribs when rebuilding them). The pin shoulder height was too
tall on some of them as well, adding to the problems.

7. '73-74E they went to a knee-action hinge which eliminated the teeth. Truly the best design. The teeth stamping
on the earlier hinges were crude. Loose fitting teeth allowed extra movement that let the hood walk up in the back
and caused accelerated wear. When I rebuild them I build the teeth back up with weld and grind to create a tight
mesh fit
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

RestoRick

VERSION #1

RestoRick

RestoRick

VERSION #3

RestoRick

VERSION #4 (center base shows the stamped up-stop).

RestoRick

RestoRick

VERSION #6
Hybrid baby!! (late '72E)

RestoRick

VERSION #7

'73-74E

RestoRick

Some more details in case you're not cross-eyed yet. ;)

RestoRick

And last but not least, E-body vs. B-body. Look closely to see how to avoid getting burned buying them.

DeathProofCuda

MOPAR MITCH

ANLAUTO and RestoRick -- T/Anks so much for the info.   I happen to have a pair of hinges that I personally removed from a '71 factory 440-6 Challenger (4-spd, 4:10 Dana)... with a factory fiberglass T/A hood (said the owner)... car was plum crazy, white top, white interior!  I stripped and parted out the car about 45 years ago... as it was severely damaged and, at that time, determined a total loss!... sold most of the parts.   However, as I just recently discovered... upon prepping these hinges for a new paint (glass beaded clean... and primered) and install (replacing my aged chromed hinges)... that they were each slightly different!.... teeth and no-teeth!  What the heck???   I still have them sitting aside... and I'd prefer to sell them (I bought new hinges).

340Challman

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on April 12, 2022, 11:44:32 AM
ANLAUTO and RestoRick -- T/Anks so much for the info.   I happen to have a pair of hinges that I personally removed from a '71 factory 440-6 Challenger (4-spd, 4:10 Dana)... with a factory fiberglass T/A hood (said the owner)... car was plum crazy, white top, white interior!  I stripped and parted out the car about 45 years ago... as it was severely damaged and, at that time, determined a total loss!... sold most of the parts.   However, as I just recently discovered... upon prepping these hinges for a new paint (glass beaded clean... and primered) and install (replacing my aged chromed hinges)... that they were each slightly different!.... teeth and no-teeth!  What the heck???   I still have them sitting aside... and I'd prefer to sell them (I bought new hinges).

Hey Mitch, Check those new hinges carefully before getting rid of your others. I too bought new ones (AMD) and they had so many issues that we decided not to use them. If it hadn't been for the issues, I would have put them up for sale here. I can't see selling a part to someone that I myself won't use. The angle of the hinges when mounted was off considerably. We were afraid that the bending that would have been required to correct the angles would have put the pivots in a bind and cause them to eat themselves in short order. So hang on to your old ones until you are totally satisfied with the replacements.  :cheers:
Kevin