Main Menu

rear speaker install with defogger H31

Started by ec_co, January 09, 2017, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ec_co

this isn't the best pic, if you have some better ones please post em up
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

anlauto

Most people didn't believe me when I said the speaker goes to the back :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on January 09, 2017, 01:35:44 PM
Most people didn't believe me when I said the speaker goes to the back :alan2cents:

Look closely Alan, it shows the blower motor in the back.

cataclysm80

H31  Rear Defogger

The rear defogger hose between the motor and the duct is only fastened with one clamp.  That clamp is on the duct end of the hose.  The motor end of the hose did not originally use a clamp.

The earlier style defoggers used a resistor wire in the wiring, while the later style defoggers used a resistor on the blower motor.
That resistor is intended for fan speed, it's not supposed to heat the air as some people have claimed.
I don't recall which year the change from early to late happened, but it might be shown in the wiring diagrams.

If you also had an optional stereo radio (8 track or cassette) with the optional dual rear speakers, then a special adapter was installed to allow the speaker and blower motor to share the same hole on the package tray.
This dual rear speaker with defogger adapter was only available on E bodies & C bodies.
E-bodies with dual rear speakers and a defogger setup came with a space saver tire.

cataclysm80

Defogger and Rear Speaker Wiring Clips

cataclysm80

Defogger with Rear Speaker Adapter

cataclysm80

Later Style Blower Motor With Resistor

cataclysm80

1970 defogger switch has a teal dot.
1971 defogger switch has a red dot.
Headlight has a white dot
Wiper has a blue arrow
Dimmer has a yellow arrow

1971 Barracuda non-rallye & 1971 Challenger rallye dash shown

cataclysm80

Topcat

Well wouldn't the positioning change depending on if the car was a space saver spare or came with a full size 14"?

cataclysm80

1973 & 1974 Defogger Switch has NO dot
Headlight has NO dot

Mid 1973 through 1974, non-rallye & rallye switch panels include Lights & Wipers hieroglyphics.

cataclysm80

Quote from: Topcat on January 18, 2017, 09:19:18 PM
Well wouldn't the positioning change depending on if the car was a space saver spare or came with a full size 14"?

No, having the Defogger with Dual Rear Speakers required a Space Saver spare tire.

If you swap positions, does a regular full size spare fit?
If it does, I might consider doing that on my driver.

cataclysm80

@ec_co   Could you add  H31 to the title of this thread so that it will be easier to find in the future using the search function?

Cuda Cody

WOW, great photos!  I was able to add H31 to the heading for future searches.   :bradsthumb:

cataclysm80

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 18, 2017, 09:41:05 PM
WOW, great photos!  I was able to add H31 to the heading for future searches.   :bradsthumb:

Looks Perfect, Thanks!