Main Menu

Sending Unit Lock Ring & Gasket Comparison w/Pics

Started by Jay Bee, June 27, 2018, 05:27:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

There's been talk before about how sub-standard the aftermarket sending unit lock ring is. So, before installing my replacement unit, I thought I'd take some pictures and measurements comparing the two. This is the second one I've replaced since owning the car and both times cleaned up the OEM parts and reused them.

fc7cuda

Very nice.  :bigthumb:

I too have reused OE lock rings, the aftermarket ones almost spin all the way around.  :thumbdown:

RUNCHARGER

Thanks for confirming. This is only a fire hazard right? Nothing to worry about unless you worry about safety.
Sheldon

gzig5

I recently installed a new tank and sending unit.  Had a heck of a time getting the lock ring installed.  Somehow I was sent two lock ring assemblies and the second one went in ok, the first one I tried was going to need surgery.  This eval now prompts me to go pull the original ring and seal out of the tank before I take it to the scrapper in case I have issues down the road.

b5cuda

Ditto on OEM lock rings sealing much better.  Even if you bend the tabs on a repro ring for tighter seal they don't work as well.  I've also found it worthwhile to buy the lock-ring wrench for installing the ring, seems to seat the ring more evenly than tapping it in with a hammer.   

Jay Bee

Quote from: gzig5 on June 27, 2018, 08:34:56 AM
This eval now prompts me to go pull the original ring and seal out of the tank before I take it to the scrapper in case I have issues down the road.
ASOLUTELY, save the originals. Even if you don't end up using them, someone surely would buy them from you.

GrandpaKevin

Great info. :twothumbsup:

Send your findings to gasket maker and Mopar guy James Fillmore at Detroit Muscle Technoogies and see how his tank gaskets compare...

I think he makes a better quality stainless steel ring too...
https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/all-models-57-91-sending-unit-to-gas-tank-seal-and-ss-lock-ring/

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

303 Mopar

Along with the aftermarket ring and seals being crap and not fitting correctly, the pickup is completely in the wrong position and needs to be bent.  Many times the old unit only needs the float replaced.

Chryco Psycho

Measure the thickness of the sending unit plate where the tube goes through , I bet that is thinner too , with everythig thinner no wonder they all leak

Jay Bee

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on June 27, 2018, 09:46:16 AM
Send your findings to gasket maker and Mopar guy James Fillmore at Detroit Muscle Technoogies and see how his tank gaskets compare...

I think he makes a better quality stainless steel ring too...
I may just do that.
His lock rings do look more like the OEM, greater surface area contact.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 27, 2018, 10:55:54 AM
Measure the thickness of the sending unit plate where the tube goes through , I bet that is thinner too ,
Damn, I never thought of THAT. Too late, it's already installed.