Main Menu

71 cuda rear tag holder plate finish

Started by Moparmade, September 22, 2023, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Moparmade

What would be the correct finish, plateing
Would be for the rear tag holder and the hinge and pin and spring for the assembly be any advice would help
Thanks

Mr Cuda

Tag holder, I  take it you mean license plate  .
A semi  rough galvanize.   Hard to do at home.

Moparmade

You got it sir how about the other pieces ?

Mr Cuda

I think the pin is plastic (white), and the mount tab is the same as the plate. Spring was raw.
You may be able to swap a b body  plate mount on to a ebody bolt on tab.
When gathering up all my license plate holders,  I thought I had around 20, until I realized e is different than A,B,and C. It's easier to find a good condition galvanize plating on non e parts.
I'll have to go look if they can interchange parts.

Moparmade

I can get the individual pieces replated if
I know what plateing finish the parts had

Mr Cuda

One of the nicest that I  have with flash and without. That one has a metal pin.

Moparmade

The one I have has a metal pin and spring clip retainer

6bblgt

the pin is steel (they often break, plastic wouldn't have a chance)

the finish is "big flake" (SPANGLE) zinc plated coated steel - decades ago lead impurities cause the spangle, a modern process substitutes antimony to recreate the spangle

Moparmade

So hot dip galvanized is not the way to go the website say there is a big speckal finish is done through a process

6bblgt

hot-dip galvanized is a zinc coating process (maybe plating isn't correct) - does "plating" imply electrically?

anlauto

The new reproductions are actually pretty nice  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Moparmade

May have to look into repo
But seeing if I can get my original parts redone
And seeing what kinda of result I can accomplish

anlauto

These parts were formed from galvanized metal, they were not formed then dipped, so it's a very hard process to try and duplicate doing it with an original part in the opposite order
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Moparmade

So this part was stamped out from already treated pices of metal

anlauto

Quote from: Moparmade on September 24, 2023, 01:47:15 PM
So this part was stamped out from already treated pices of metal
Correct ! Same with the headlight pots, and various other galvanized parts. 40 years ago I worked in a plant that made buildings and stuff, they had rolls of steel that looked just like that finish.