Started by Cuda Cody, January 30, 2017, 05:11:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Photo 1 = as taken by camera
Photo 2 = as taken by camera
Photo 3 = Rotated
Photo 4 = Rotated

Cuda Cody

@headejm  I think it might have to do with the way the camera is saving the photos.  In the email they are sideways.  I open them a web browser (Chrome) and the flip automatically, but in my email and in my other photo viewers there are sideways.  I flipped them, saved it and they stay in the right direction.  So I think this is something to do with some advanced software or gyroscope program in the camera to always make the image look right side up even though the raw file stays sideways.  Take a peak at this and let me know if your Ipad has these settings?  If we can get the image to rotate and then save it, that should help get them right side up?   :thinking:

http://www.imore.com/how-to-crop-straighten-rotate-photos-iphone-ipad

Cuda Cody

Here's how they come through in my email, Photoshop and CorelDraw....  Each program is reading the orientation a little different.   So it's going to come down to being able to rotate and save the photos in a new orientation.  Or can you run some test with the camera and see if holding it at different angles changes the way the camera saves the photo?  Just thinking out loud now...   :thinking:

headejm

This photo posted correctly on an earlier post. Now it posts 90 degrees rotated.

headejm

Test

Cuda Cody

Okay great.  So help me think this through....  the photo kept the orientation of each photo.  This is good.  So if you turn your iPad to take a photo it's going to turn the photo.  Now when you look at those photo on the iPad do they turn to auto adjust to fit the screen or move at all?  Are or they always exactly how you took them?

The same photos came through in the email exactly how you posted them here.  Nothing has moved.

Cuda Cody

This is a reach, but I'm just taking guesses now.  Is there a chance that the way you hold your iPad changes the way you view the photos?  I don't have an iPad to test, but could the iPad be smart and be adjusting the photo depending on how you're sitting or holding it?  Then whatever you're holding it gets uploaded?   :thinking: 

I checked the site log and there's not been updates done in the last few days that I could find.

Quote from: headejm on January 30, 2017, 06:57:14 PM
This photo posted correctly on an earlier post. Now it posts 90 degrees rotated.

headejm

The iPad took all four of the photos right side up regardless of the orientation of the iPad, but when posted to here, only the second photo ended up right side up. That was with the iPad rotated 90 CCW.

Cuda Cody

Okay, so what is that telling us?  When the image is seen "right side up" on the iPad, it might be saving it differently?  All 4 photos above worked perfectly to how you held the iPad, but not what you saw when you took the photo, right?  They all looked "right side up" when you took the photo?

Quote from: headejm on January 30, 2017, 08:24:38 PM
The iPad took all four of the photos right side up regardless of the orientation of the iPad, but when posted to here, only the second photo ended up right side up. That was with the iPad rotated 90 CCW.

headejm

Yes, all four photos were right side up (when taking the photo) regardless of how the iPad was rotated.

ChallengerHK

Image orientation is saved in EXIF data, but not all devices save it. Your device might not be saving it, or, it might be turned off with some software switch.

Cuda Cody

So if the  iPad is rotated 90 CCW it should always post them right side up.  Or there are a few programs and apps that make it easy to turn the photo.  I think that's our best workaround for the photos that don't want to post right side up.  :alan2cents:  I looked in to the Forum doing it, and it's not something that can be done very easy.  Everyone is saying it's easier to use one of the apps or photo programs.

headejm

:ohyeah: Okay. Thanks for investigating. It's curious that some of the photos posted correctly at one time and now they are rotated.

ChallengerHK

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 31, 2017, 08:54:25 AM
So if the  iPad is rotated 90 CCW it should always post them right side up.  Or there are a few programs and apps that make it easy to turn the photo.  I think that's our best workaround for the photos that don't want to post right side up.  :alan2cents:  I looked in to the Forum doing it, and it's not something that can be done very easy.  Everyone is saying it's easier to use one of the apps or photo programs.

I think the apps are the easiest way to go, yes.

Quote from: headejm on January 31, 2017, 10:53:46 AM
:ohyeah: Okay. Thanks for investigating. It's curious that some of the photos posted correctly at one time and now they are rotated.

That is very odd.