Main Menu

Drill bit question

Started by blown motor, February 03, 2021, 02:35:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

My car has a fibreglass hood and I need to drill a hole in the underside to allow for a bolt head when I close it. Which would be better to use, a wood bit or a steel bit?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Just a thought... can you replace the bolt with a low head socket head cap screw? Or button head?
A wood bit will work just fine in fiberglass though. 

Skdmark

Use a very sharp drill preferably with a split point and a point angle around 135 deg.
That would be closer to what you would use in steel.

The split point helps from the drill walking on you.
The flatter point angle will reduce the drill grabbing in the material vs a longer point.
The sharpness is to prevent delamination of the fibers.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Rich G.

I'd use a dremmel with a small carbide bit for more control and less chance of a drill bit ripping the fiberglass or pulling you through the other side.

jimynick

Just take one of those old tire irons you've got, take it to the emery and sharpen a point on it and then get your BFH and git 'er done!  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

I drilled a 1/16 pilot hole, then 1/8. Then I used a 5/8 wood bit and cleaned up the inner edges with a file. Dabbed a little paint on it and looks like it's meant to be there.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel