Main Menu

Concrete Anchors

Started by Daveh, April 10, 2021, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I want to install some type of concrete anchor in the floor of the new shop.  D-Ring, recessed something that would hold if I was pulling a car into the garage.  I'm not sure what I'm looking for at this point.  Any thoughts? 

1 Wild R/T

I would drill anchor points to attach something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Products-B40MP-D-Ring-Carriage/dp/B01CMJLONI/ref=asc_df_B01CMJLONI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312141063511&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14233251006075648101&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032274&hvtargid=pla-571980789337&psc=1

But I'd leave the anchor plate in the tote with the tie downs & ratchet straps.... Cause if you bolt it to the floor you'll trip over it & have to clean around it....

I'd use drop in style anchors so nothing sticks above the floor... They will fill with dirt but when you need them just blow them out.....  My buddy has a pipe bender that sits in the corner 99.8% of the time but once or twice a year he drags it out... He's had unused anchors in his shop floor for 15+ years.. Blow them out & bolt the bender down & he's ready to rock....

RUNCHARGER

Great idea. I've drug them in running a chain to the front bumper of the tow vehicle across and underneath to the rear of the dead one and drive in side by side. Always an adventure.
Sheldon

worthywads

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 10, 2021, 10:33:30 PM
I would drill anchor points to attach something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Products-B40MP-D-Ring-Carriage/dp/B01CMJLONI/ref=asc_df_B01CMJLONI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312141063511&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14233251006075648101&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032274&hvtargid=pla-571980789337&psc=1

But I'd leave the anchor plate in the tote with the tie downs & ratchet straps.... Cause if you bolt it to the floor you'll trip over it & have to clean around it....

I'd use drop in style anchors so nothing sticks above the floor... They will fill with dirt but when you need them just blow them out.....  My buddy has a pipe bender that sits in the corner 99.8% of the time but once or twice a year he drags it out... He's had unused anchors in his shop floor for 15+ years.. Blow them out & bolt the bender down & he's ready to rock....

I second this type of anchor, for relatively light applications like this.

cuda hunter

I prefer striker anchor's. 
You probably have 4" standard thickness garage concrete? 
Pick a 3" strike anchor and install the D ring.
I installed a huge hook in the back of my garage and I can hook chains, slides or hooks to it and it works great. 
Of course, I can't get those anchors back out of the concrete.  You would have to just cut them off  when you don't want to use the hook/ring any more. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIIw3Vw-wyc

http://www.powers-guide.com/Products/Mechanical/Wedge-Anchors/Striker-Anchor
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

blown motor

The anchor in Wild R/T's post looks great but when not in use put in a bolt with a sunken hex to keep the hole and threads from filling with dirt.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

Many body shops here use a system where you drill about a 3" hole into which there goes a 2 pc plug that works like a regular concrete anchor. The lwr piece goes in and when you pull it up, it wedges itself against the outer and upper piece. They have a recessed lip that retains a steel cover to keep the schmutz out. You can pull concrete trucks in with one, should you desire.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Daveh

Jimynick,

You don't happen to have an example of that anchoring system do you? 

jimynick

Sadly,no. To be honest, if I did, they'd be in my garage floor already. They started putting them in the shops in the 70's, so there may be some recycled ones somewhere. Sorry!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"