Main Menu

Cordless impact recommendation?

Started by Brads70, December 09, 2018, 04:44:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Looking at this one?

https://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/en-us/power-tools/landing_pages/20V-W7152?cid=ps_gogl_irp_pt_cn:w7152%20launch_co:ld_sd:120618_kwd:ingersoll%20rand%20power%20tools_mt:b_net:g_plmt:_adg:62026155543&gclid=CjwKCAiAl7PgBRBWEiwAzFhmmrgZqbyBdCtuONiTPuK6XJjjVXhgz3Bb1octf5ymV67D9QpeAgQE3BoCr-sQAvD_BwE

My issue is that I already have a Milwaukee 28 volt  drill with the battery's crapped out so I need new batteries. $$$$
So with that in mind I was looking at this one as it gives me 2 more batteries and an impact. What I don't like about this one compared to the Ingersoll Rand is no torque adjustability.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M28-28-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-Kit-w-2-3-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-0779-22/100595742

Any opinions?

mjb765

That IR looks niiiice...........I got my Snap-on for a good deal and it does the job....I normally would have mentioned the Milwaukee, but that IR looks good especially in bang for the buck.

anlauto

These cordless tools are getting so powerful and handy now, I don't remember when the last time I use my air tools for assembly or disassembly . :twothumbsup:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

EDL94

I would pick a brand and stick with that battery platform. I have all Dewalt, Milwaukee Ingersal and the other major brands are all good. It's just nice to have one type of battery and charger you can share across all of your tools.

Swamp Donkey

I've got a lot of Milwaukee tools.   All kinds of 18v fuel stuff.  Use them all the time without issue.  I vote to stay with Milwaukee.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

jimynick

I agree with what EDL says about picking a battery platform, but will say that my B-I-L just bought a whole whack of the Milwaukee stuff and the impact has over 1000lb/ft breakaway torque!! The batteries are expensive, but he found that by buying various kits when Milwaukee has a special, that he got extra batteries overall. Not a toy and NOT cheap, but also not needing an airline or extension cord and able to twist off bolts with a simple- grruunnnttt!  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

I bought the Milwaukee Fuel 18 v impact 2861-20
I guess something is wrong with it , it would not undo a wing nut on an aircleaner , I can stop it turning with my fingers  :thinking:

Rich G.

We use Makitia impact tools at work. And we beat the crap out of them! They work great and the nice thing about that brand is they make a ton of different tools and they all take the same battery.

cordodge

We use a lot of Milwaukee 1/2" x 3/4" drives during shutdowns, Boilermakers are not gental on tools at all, they get used and abused 7 days a week 24hours a day for weeks. They are very powerful for their size example the 3/4 will undo a 24"x 150 flange no problem where we used to have to run airline but no need now. They get left out in the weather and thrown around quite a bit. Just an experience I have had with the Milwaukee stuff.

gzig5

I don't have one yet, but a couple buddies rave about their big 18V Milwaukee impacts. I would likely go this way to keep common batteries with other tools.

BIGSHCLUNK

My Dewalt has held up well over the years. I would guess the newer ones have better power. One of the guys in the shop had an IR... had issues finding parts ...

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 09, 2018, 07:56:08 PM
I bought the Milwaukee Fuel 18 v impact 2861-20
I guess something is wrong with it , it would not undo a wing nut on an aircleaner , I can stop it turning with my fingers  :thinking:
Neil, I stand to be corrected, but I believe they have variable torque settings, so maybe yours is set on "creampuff" LOL  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

cuda hunter

Dewalt all the way.  I use cordless tools every day.  Have had and broken lots of different brands.
Dewalt holds up the best to a construction site setting. 
I keep an impact in my truck with batteries just in case. 

I'm a milwaukee guy for all my corded tools but I found that the Dewalt tools just lasted waay longer than any of my milwaukees.
Ryobi's work but break pretty quick like the milwaukees.
Haven't used I.R. yet. 

Dewalt tools are in every city in America and possibly Canada :notsure:.  You can get parts or batteries or accessories everywhere. 

I have dewalt impact drills that are 3 generations ago that are still working just fine.  Ugly and beat up, but work non the less. I put those in the hands of the greenhorns. 

The new dewalt lithium light weight impact drills are brushless.     Very nice!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: I personally have all Milwaukee but when I helped my buddy with his Kangaroo farm the Dewalt's seemed to take a kicking better than the other ones he had tried.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

I have also used Dewalt and it's easy to find bats, accessories. I have kept to the Dewalt brand so I can swap out batts in multiple platforms and has worked well for me. Just yesterday I used my 1/2" impact gun and it worked a charm and has up to 300ft lbs of torque.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200