Main Menu

Enclosed car trailers

Started by torredcuda, May 13, 2020, 10:08:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

Thinking of upgrading my open trailer to an enclosed, will be nice for going to Carlisle and race tracks and a much needed added storage when at home. Any advice on brands, styles, door layout etc., any good/bad dealers preferably in the Northeast. Also concerned about wieght as my current Ram is only a 1500 and rated for 8250lbs towing I think. Pic was my old 04 2500.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

GrandpaKevin

I would get the lightest trailer possible if you're towing a lot with a 1500 Ram.

I've had good luck with my old Haulmark Elite II  22 foot trailer.

It's a little bit shorter than most but fits perfectly where I store it.

I love the driver's side escape door and it would be a must have if I decide to get another trailer.

My Challenger fits in it very well but not a lot of room for other stuff when the car is inside.

Most guys at the track have a minimum 24 foot trailer to haul other stuff with their car but that adds weight and most aren't towing with a 1/2 ton truck.

JS29

:iagree: That side door makes it better to enter and exit the car!  :yes:

Burdar

With everything I've read, the consensus is NOT to pull an enclosed trailer with a 1500.  Will it pull it OK, probably.  Will it stop the loaded trailer OK, probably not.  That's where the issue is.

Taking that out of the equation, everyone seems to recommend the heavier duty axles(not 3500 lbs ones) and 6 lug 16" wheels.  I found this link that shows how much weight you can tow with 3500/5200/7000 lbs axles.  With a longer trailer and 3500 lbs axles, you are overloading it with a B or E-body.

https://www.usacargotrailersales.com/trailer-info/weights/

floorit426

:iagree:
I had a 26' w/5200# axles. Loaded, with the car, it was pushing 7000 pounds+. Then, If you add the the floorjack, tools, ice chests, etc., you are exceeding the weight limit of your trailer, and pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton truck.

JH27N0B

I don't have a trailer but its been on my wishlist for a while and I have done some homework and checked out a lot of them when I am helping out during setup and teardown at MCACN.
One feature I have heard is really helpful to have when living in the snowbelt and if you will be parking it out doors, is a curved roof instead of a flat roof.
I've lusted over some trailers I've seen that instead of a side door, a section of the side by the axles is hinged and can be opened up, and the wheel well removed, which really makes getting in and out of the car a breeze!  And the with the side up, would make a nice roof for a porch when camping or hanging out.
Trailers with that feature are expensive though.
I once saw a guy unloading a car from a trailer where the trailer and ramp had some sort of a conveyor belt contraption built in, one for each side of the car, you set the car up on the conveyor and push a button and the conveyor belts loaded the car into the trailer, and out of the trailer, no winch or cables needed.  Really cool!
Even though I am not fat, I've found getting in and out of a car in a trailer is tough when I've had someone move a car for me, it would to be a contortionist, or a teenager!  And my T/A was damaged when someone helped me pick it up from the restoration shop with his enclosed, and while unloading it, the winch gave out, and we were pushing on the bumper as it rolled down the ramp to keep it from gaining momentum while I watched helplessly as the front end swung out a little and the left fender scraped the ramp cables, so trailers make me nervous!
You can get foam covers to put on the cables to help protect a little.

torredcuda

Figured I'd be pushing my limit with a 1500, ones I'm looking at are around 32-3400 lbs, adding a 3400 lbs car puts me close to 7000 lbs. Seeing I don't tow very often it should be ok.

RUNCHARGER

Personally I think it is fine. The truck brakes are designed to stop the truck, the trailer brakes are designed to stop the trailer. I like the stiffer springs in a 3500 but the 1500 will do the job. My 15 pulled this up and down a 20 mile 8% grade with 6000lbs inside. I would add airbags as the coil springs in these trucks are good for nothing, however if you add airbags be careful not to overload the truck.
Again, if your truck brakes are stopping the trailer and contents you do not have the trailer brakes set correctly.
Sheldon

anlauto

I would like one too....but NEVER going to be in my budget  :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

torredcuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 13, 2020, 07:32:32 PM
Personally I think it is fine. The truck brakes are designed to stop the truck, the trailer brakes are designed to stop the trailer. I like the stiffer springs in a 3500 but the 1500 will do the job. My 15 pulled this up and down a 20 mile 8% grade with 6000lbs inside. I would add airbags as the coil springs in these trucks are good for nothing, however if you add airbags be careful not to overload the truck.
Again, if your truck brakes are stopping the trailer and contents you do not have the trailer brakes set correctly.

Mine didn`t come with the factory trailer brake controller so I had it added. I have only towed long distance once from NH to Carlisle, my local track is only a half hour away but I sold my drag car. I might tow to Lebanon Valley which is 3-4 hours otherwise only towing is occasionally picking up a project car. I understand it doesn`t matter if it`s only a 5 minute drive you want to be able to handle the load safely, my `17 does have 60k miles on it so maybe it`s time to trade up for a 2500  :yes: although probably not really in the budget.

MOPAR MITCH

Yeh... I want another trailer.. miss my custom open trailer (sold years ago)... what I liked most is that I had it built specifically for my car (extra wide and with long wide ramps, removable fenders, open center (so that could work under the car)... and a small flat/flush storage unit built into the front.   MOST important is that it was built to fit into my 21' garage ... with the car on it (trailer tip-to-tip was 20' overall length... 16' bed).   My couple suburbans... '86 350 2500... and later '90 454 2500 (both 2wd) towed them great!

IF I had the space on my property I'd get an enclosed trailer... maybe no less than a 24'... but 26'-28' better.   Then, I'd have to get a better tow vehicle ... my 2005 Escalade (short wb) can tow ~8000... but I'd rather have a longer wheelbase vehicle. 

Racer57

Keep in mind that the doors on these cars are a lot longer than most so where the trailers side door is located is critical.

RUNCHARGER

The side door is a big deal, big enough I refuse to drive a nice car in without one, I winch them instead with the drivers window open.
Sheldon