Engine Run Stand Designs

Started by ScottSmith_Harms, March 20, 2017, 07:49:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 21, 2017, 06:28:37 PM
This is my dream to own one of these!   :inlove:

I've had that some dream.... that and a chassis dyno too!  :drooling:

ScottSmith_Harms

Dyno room.....Yes, it's crossed my mind. No, I don't have the budget  :whiteflag:

HP_Cuda

That is definitely a route to go. Might be some issues around getting a cherry picker to drop it in there without running into the bottom braces. Headers can be a problem with that setup as well.

Have to add in gauges, battery, fuel tank, fuel line, radiator - maybe $500+ bucks so yeah it can work.

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on March 21, 2017, 05:13:48 PM
HP,

Well I should probably re state my initial comment. I can AFFORD an Easy Run, but so far I just don't see the added value between thier $2,500.00 price tagged design and other run stands for FAR less money. So my posting here is investigative, If someone can sell me on an Easy Run being that much better, maybe I'll go that way.

This Summit run stand is $499.00 and granted, lacking the frills of the Easy Run, but otherwise looks pretty decent for the money.  :dunno:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Scott, there is a guy on eBay selling run stand plans. That might help you if you want to build one. I think the $6 or $7 bucks is worth so you don't have to start from scratch.

Cody, any chance you might be able to map out how you wired your run stand for a Mopar? Seems the internet is silent on our stuff for run stand wiring.

Cuda Cody

I ended up getting help from a few people when I designed it.  I think I have the wiring plans on my computer.... I'll look for it.

Quote from: Chaos-N-Mayhem on April 02, 2017, 05:59:06 PM
Scott, there is a guy on eBay selling run stand plans. That might help you if you want to build one. I think the $6 or $7 bucks is worth so you don't have to start from scratch.

Cody, any chance you might be able to map out how you wired your run stand for a Mopar? Seems the internet is silent on our stuff for run stand wiring.

Cuda Cody

As I was designing it I would change things and forget to update my drawing.  I know I have something wrong on this.  I don't have the Voltage Regulator shown and I run an alternator too.  Next time I get the run stand out I'll try to remember to finish this wiring diagram.

THIS ONE SHOWN IS NOT 100% done yet.

ScottSmith_Harms

Nice, very helpful Cody!

On a related note, I picked up my engine run stand today.......Thinking outside the box a little. It's a 413 Industrial engine with very low hours. It was used at a local ski resort as backup power for a ski lift and was rarely used. Has a heavy duty radiator, gauges, all the stuff required to run it, still has the date coded plug wires and belts! I only need to add a few externals that were removed and its ready to go! I will clean it up and paint it as well.

*I'm still going to buy a new run stand but couldn't pass this one up at $500.00

Cuda Cody

:wowzers:  That is the coolest thing ever!!!   :lookatthat:  How did you find that beast?   You find some of the coolest stuff man.   :clapping:

ScottSmith_Harms

Just lucked into it on Craigslist today and raced over to grab it.  :banana:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

GREAT SCORE Scott.....   :woohoo:

Wonder what one of these bad boys would run.

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

ScottSmith_Harms

Yep a Hemi air raid siren would trump my little 413 that's for sure! Pretty cool to hear one of those going off, the one in that pic and a few others like it have made showings at Mopar shows over the years,they are CRAZY loud!

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 02, 2017, 06:14:39 PM
As I was designing it I would change things and forget to update my drawing.  I know I have something wrong on this.  I don't have the Voltage Regulator shown and I run an alternator too.  Next time I get the run stand out I'll try to remember to finish this wiring diagram.

THIS ONE SHOWN IS NOT 100% done yet.

That's awesome. There may be a couple smart folks on here who can help fill in the blanks on your diagram or give some alternative sets they may help add to this topic.

RUNCHARGER

There's no cure for this illness though, I'd want to restore that setup.
Sheldon