Main Menu

floor jack service

Started by HP2, December 30, 2018, 02:57:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

I've got a 3 ton Craftsman I've had since around 1990 that doesn't quite work the way its supposed to. It will slowly crank up and will lift a car an inch or two before it won't move it up any more.  I tried adding some hydraulic fluid to the cylinder but it didn't seem to make a difference. Suggestions on  where to find a service manual, methods of service, or things I would do to revive it.

Looks like this;

RJChallenger

Your life is worth more than that jack. I've been a licensed millwright /industrial mechanic most of my life and those things do wear out .It would need a complete rebuild seals etc.and that not taking the condition of the cyl walls  into consideration Buy a new jack , they a bigger and cheaper.

Katfish

Sounds like it needs new seals.
Can't be hard to rebuild and worth a shot.
Bet those Craftsman's all used the same bottle jack, kits must be easy to find and cheap.

edison1970

I would rather rebuild but I never had luck with rebuilding jacks. Mine still leaked down so I tossed it and bought an aluminum one from Harbor Freight. I'll never buy another heavy steel jack again. Good luck whichever way you go.

A.Gramz

I wouldn't rebuild it.  Buy a new one.  :alan2cents:  There relatively cheap now a days.  If anything is scored, nicked or bent it will leak/fail again in no time.  Too much liability and safety issues with lifting devices. 

71-440

I have a Craftsman 2.5 ton floor jack I bought in 2010. It leaks down slowly. To rebuild it costs almost the same as a new one.
I'm going to toss it and buy another jack.
Joe

BIGSHCLUNK

I had my craftsman floor jack from the late 70's... went to the scrap pile 3 years ago...  no complaints

RusTy/SE

I have a similar Sears 3-Ton floor jack; here is the part of the Owner's Manual it came with. The exploded view may help you decide :wrenching:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

headejm

Agree with the comments not to rebuild. Looks like rebuild kit is $50 with no guarantee that it won't still leak or work properly. Many useful jacks out there for under $100.

HP2

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I doubt I'll tackle a hydraulic unit rebuild. Never done one before, don't really want to start now. Given its age and the fiscal condition of Sears, I doubt I could find a new hydraulic unit for it.  Was kind of hoping someone on here may have a source so I buy the new cylinder and could just swap it out. Looks like jacks have become disposable.

340challconvert

Wife bought me a 3 Ton Daytona Jack at Harbor Freight for Christmas
Considered "super duty"
Paid under 160 with the 20% coupons
So far, a very nice unit for the price

Not worth messing with trying to re-build an old jack.
I had floor jacks from way back that were becoming marginal and gave them away.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

jimynick

Who'd've ever thought Sears would go under?! Makes me glad that the 2 ton Blackhawk I bought in 1972 is still going strong- used it today to lift the Camry for exhaust surgery. Good luck with your quest!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

72 Challenger

I have the complete opposite experience.

I bought a craftsman jack around the year 2000. It was heavy and failed quickly. about 15 years ago I bought an aluminum one from Princess auto (Canadian harbor freight style store) as I was in a pinch and it's been flawless.
Someday I will have a J0b.

RUNCHARGER

I went through a bunch of those cheap jacks. Then I bought a Strong Arm smaller one and a large professional one (I currently forget the name but it is made in Canada) and no problems since. No puddles on the floor and easier to use. My large one is air over hydraulic and is great for working alone and installing transmissions and such.
Sheldon