Main Menu

Frame rack ideas

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 29, 2017, 06:28:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Working on metal replacement for my 70 Challenger. My first plan morphed into a revised plan but lately, I have been thinking about taking a step back and going at this differently. Currently, I have the car on a make shift rack all leveled out and evenly supported so that I can get fairly accurate measurements when I start mocking up all the new pieces. The only problem I have run into is it cannot be moved. I've been thinking about building a dedicated rack that I can attach the body of the car to. Something with wheels so I can move it in and out of the garage and also levelers to lift it off the wheels and level it all out.

This is how I'm shade treeing it right now:

70 Challenger Lover

This is a picture off the Internet I found that is kinda like what I'm considering:

70 Challenger Lover

What do you guys think? Anyone done anything like this or have better ideas?

Brads70

How many cars do you plan on needing this for...?

70 Challenger Lover

The current car of course plus another behind it. The other one just needs some front end rail work but I'd use it for that second car too to ensure all my measurements are solid.

Down the road, I could see using it on other Mopars. I love doing all the metal work on these cars so I can see always having a project going just as a hobby, whether mine or someone else's.

Racer57

How about a 4 post lift ? They can be leveled and ones like mine have removable casters if you want to move it.

70 Challenger Lover

I'd love to have a lift like yours. That thing is sweet. A bit too large though for my two car garage. It's not so much that I need to lift the car. More that I need a precise table to work off of to ensure all frame measurements are as close to spec as I can get them.

70 Challenger Lover

My thinking is to build the table so that the car rests on the points shown as X-6. This is the point where many measurements are taken. If the car is zeroed out on the table while resting at these anchor points, I can the add in removeable rests which sort of make it into a jig for more precise alignments of things like frame rails.

70 Challenger Lover

I did this with the front end rebuilding the whole thing and it came out perfect. New front rails, upper lower cowl, etc. the key was having a way to get accurate measurements. Once I hung the doors, fenders, and hood back on, it all lined up great. I want to do this in the back but there are more parts so I need to get it just right. Trying to get away from the hokey jack stand holding U channels thing.

xx88man

Can someone tell me what would be good dimensions for a frame table? 
Keep yer foot in it

Lilian

there are no "good" dimensions for a frame table. you can build one from large sections of steel tubing or buy a used old one. I just bought one here in France for $500 and will have to build all the supports.
I checked here with iron suppliers and I would have savend $100 buying steel !!

maybe you should try CG and find a good old one.  :takemymoney:

HP2

A place I used to work had a jig set up like this for construction of  large signs. They had 10" I  Beams with  threaded rod going through the  bottom I to adjust the height and they were spaced about 2' apart.

The taller the beam, the less deflection it will have when you load it. This type of layout also means you can stack the I beams up on the side of the garage when not in use, whereas a ladder style jig will take up a fair amount of space, even if flipped on its side. Of course, the nice thing about  something pictured above is it very mobile and can be moved around while work is in process.

Mymcodebee

I made this for my rag and was made from factory prints above.  Have about $400-500 in material.

torredcuda

Quote from: Mymcodebee on March 24, 2018, 07:09:35 AM
I made this for my rag and was made from factory prints above.  Have about $400-500 in material.

Nice! Looks similar to what the AMD installation center uses - http://www.amdinstallation.com/
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

RUNCHARGER

Yes: That's a great looking setup.
Sheldon