Main Menu

Fuel Inlet Wrench For The Six Pack

Started by Wedg2Go, February 07, 2020, 10:35:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Wedg2Go

I have a six pack setup on a 440. Since bringing it from sea level to 7000' elevation I finally decided to re-jet and clean-up the Holley carburetors. One thing that is throwing me for a loop, is when the carburetors are in place on the manifold, is keeping the fuel inlets stationary while setting the short upper fuel lines runs in place (hard lines). The fuel inlets are very close to the float bowls & (or) to the leading carb, making it very tight for every wrench I own. Unless I am missing something in re-assembly  :thinking: I just don't see or understand it? I spent the entire morning reading up on it and shopping for a wrench that will, without a doubt, work in this situation (ie: Mac S-141). Everything I come up with has doubt.

BTW: I would much prefer to keep my upper fuel line as a hard line...

Thanks in advance!

jt4406

:thinking:  Maybe you have the wrong fuel inlet nuts in the middle and rear carbs? I ran into the same problem putting my set up together. Here's a pic of a "untouched" low mileage 69 RR from MCACN that has the original fuel inlet nuts. Notice the middle and rear carbs have fittings that use a smaller wrench, as compared to the front one. This makes the impossible more do-able.
Just my .02,  Jess

"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

BIGSHCLUNK

I think I understand your issue.(???) I was having an issue on my Holley where I could not get the inlet tight and the fuel line tight without disturbing the other. So anytime I did any carb work things just turned into a cluster F.  I "custom" ground (on my bench grinder) an open end and a socket. Made the job allot easier> I can post a pic later if you like   :wrenching:

jt4406

"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

GrandpaKevin

Those Ebay fuel inlet nuts look good as long as they don't round off when trying to loosen the fuel lines, sometimes those fuel lines are real difficult to get loose.

I've battled with quite a number of Six Pack and Holley carb fuel inlet lines and the old standby that has never failed me is my trusty old large flat blade screwdriver inserted between the large fuel inlet nut and the carb body.

Chryco Psycho

I tighten the 1" nuts into the bowls off the engine then leave the fuel line nuts slightly loose until the carbs are on the engine & snug them up , after that when I remove a carb & only touch the lines at the tee below the center carb .

Wedg2Go

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on February 07, 2020, 11:03:16 AM
I think I understand your issue.(???) I was having an issue on my Holley where I could not get the inlet tight and the fuel line tight without disturbing the other. So anytime I did any carb work things just turned into a cluster F.  I "custom" ground (on my bench grinder) an open end and a socket. Made the job allot easier> I can post a pic later if you like   :wrenching:

Yes, please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never considered, for a moment, the possibilities of another fuel inlet with an accessible hex nut. Will look into it. Or to even take another tool to hold the fuel inlet in place.

Thanks all!

screamindriver

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 07, 2020, 07:43:03 PM
I tighten the 1" nuts into the bowls off the engine then leave the fuel line nuts slightly loose until the carbs are on the engine & snug them up , after that when I remove a carb & only touch the lines at the tee below the center carb .
I've found that's the easiest was to get it done as well...Make sure you tighten the inlet nuts well, leave the fuel lines moveable, and get them into place..Last freshen-up I used all three of these..I too had trouble with the smaller hex style looking ugly after a few teardowns..These had more flat surface area on that secondary step and seem to hold up better after a few times in there..https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Six-Pack-Fuel-Inlet-Fittings-340-440/233289836256?hash=item36512866e0:g:i~QAAOSwHUVdLzNr

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Wedg2Go on February 08, 2020, 07:48:19 AM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on February 07, 2020, 11:03:16 AM

Yes, please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get you a pic tomorrow  :bradsthumb:
I never considered, for a moment, the possibilities of another fuel inlet with an accessible hex nut. Will look into it. Or to even take another tool to hold the fuel inlet in place.

Thanks all!

BIGSHCLUNK

Here's a few of my custom fuel line tools. The first is a chrome craftsman socket that I ground to an inch of its life. Works very well snugging up the fuel inlet nut. I do this before the lines go in. The second is an open end i ground. This was the first of 2 I made. The 2nd is way nicer. But must be at the shop cause I cant find it in the garage. But you still get the idea

Wedg2Go

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on February 09, 2020, 02:17:36 PM
Here's a few of my custom fuel line tools. The first is a chrome craftsman socket that I ground to an inch of its life. Works very well snugging up the fuel inlet nut. I do this before the lines go in. The second is an open end i ground. This was the first of 2 I made. The 2nd is way nicer. But must be at the shop cause I cant find it in the garage. But you still get the idea

Thank you for the photos!  :bigthumb:

That wrench is along the same idea of one I searched for and found. https://www.tooltopia.com/schley-13260.aspx It would require a little grinding inside and out each side to fit. Even a thin line modified per your example might work...Maybe?

Then there is the opt. to junk out my current fuel inlets and go with the ones with the hex outside the float body.

Six of one or a half of dozen another.

Haven't decided yet.   :thinking: